Re: [Healeys] 20-50 oil

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 20-50 oil
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 09:44:44 -0800
--===============6782686118678274743==
 boundary="------------0AFCE60AC21624658B803D94"

--------------0AFCE60AC21624658B803D94

Don't know if you can get it over there, but Valvoline Racing 20W-50
claims to have the necessary Z/P additives.   This stuff looks good:
*http://tinyurl.com/hy4p7hw*, but I haven't tried it.

BTW, talked to the engine rebuilder the other day and he said the cam
and lifters were very worn (he said the lifters were 'cup-shaped').
This is discouraging as I've maintained this engine well with oil
changes--20W-50--at least once/year or 4-5K (mostly highway) miles.
There wasn't any sludge or residue to speak of.  The one thing I didn't
do was follow a break-in procedure, as I wasn't aware of the need for it
when we last rebuild the engine (almost 30 years ago).  I used: Castrol,
Chevron and Valvoline oils.

Bob

On 11/27/2016 6:12 AM, Derek Job wrote:
> If its just for an emergency to get you home, then it really doesn't
> matter that much, even if adding synthetic to non-synthetic Go for the
> oil with the highest 2nd number. In other words 5W-30 rather than
> 5W-20. Oil for diesels has much more detergent.
>
> Then do a full oil change ?.after consulting all the previous reams of
> comments about 'which oil should I use'. ;)
>
> FWIW i now use Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5W-60.
>
> Derek
>
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Simon Lachlan
> wrote:
>
>     What is the nearest modern equivalent to our old fashioned(?)
>     20-50 engine oil. I anticipate helping to collect a BJ8 from the
>     docks in France soon and, you never know, it may need oil. We
>     don?t know the area at all so will probably have to make do with
>     the first garage we find.....
>
>     Do I recall that an oil for a diesel is more likely to carry the
>     additives that we may need? (Don?t let?s do the oil additives
>     thread again. Not yet at least)
>
>     Simon

--------------0AFCE60AC21624658B803D94

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      20W-50 claims to have the necessary Z/P additives.   This stuff
      looks good: <b><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://tinyurl.com/hy4p7hw";>http://tinyurl.com/hy4p7hw</a></b>, but I
haven't
      tried it.</p>
      cam and lifters were very worn (he said the lifters were
      'cup-shaped').  This is discouraging as I've maintained this
      engine well with oil changes--20W-50--at least once/year or 4-5K
      (mostly highway) miles.  There wasn't any sludge or residue to
      speak of.  The one thing I didn't do was follow a break-in
      procedure, as I wasn't aware of the need for it when we last
      rebuild the engine (almost 30 years ago).  I used: Castrol,
      Chevron and Valvoline oils.</p>
cite="mid:CAAh8etmDgO1KqdCzhS+tTG-5s+Exim3LQb=Xr-6i=8rEtg_iqA@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        it really doesn't matter that much, even if adding synthetic to
        non-synthetic Go for the oil with the highest 2nd number. In
        other words 5W-30 rather than 5W-20. Oil for diesels has much
        more detergent.
          previous reams of comments about 'which oil should I use'. ;)</div>
          Lachlan <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk";
target="_blank">simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                  equivalent to our old fashioned(?) 20-50 engine oil. I
                  anticipate helping to collect a BJ8 from the docks in
                  France soon and, you never know, it may need oil. We
                  don?t know the area at all so will probably have to
                  make do with the first garage we find.....</p>