Re: [Healeys] speedo questions

To: Bluehealey <bluehealey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] speedo questions
From: HealeyRick <healeyrik@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 21:19:54 -0500
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--94eb2c05d26c66bbf40542dfec18

My Nasty Boy has a Lempert rear, a Ford T5 transmission and a stock Healey
speedometer.  I made a couple of attempts to get them to play together that
were unsuccessful.  I saw on another forum a GPS driven unit that would
allow me to use my stock speedo and I became a beta tester (full disclosure
I get a free unit for being a beta tester)  They are now in full production
and the Classic Speed is now available for sale:
http://www.classicautoinnovations.com/classic.  I'm very happy with it and
solves the problem  of running different non-stock rear ends and
transmissions.

Happy Healeydays,
Rick Neville

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Bluehealey <bluehealey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob.
> For what it's worth I have found that 1152TPM is the closest calibration I
> could get to suit the set up on Bluehealey.  I have a 3.54 Lempert diff on
> overdrive box with 180XAS Michelins. Rolling radius of those I found to be
> 312mm (12.3").
> The set up uses a 32tooth worm wheel and 36 tooth Odo wheel.  The
> displayed mileage and actual mileage are pretty close and have been checked
> over a few hundred miles against a Sat Nav. Error is about 1-2%.
> Your tyres will be the only variable with my arrangement.
> Speedo calibration is all over the place. I just moved the needle,
> relative to the drive cup, until 60mph matches my sat nav display.  All
> other speeds above and below will be off a margin.
> Give me your rolling radius of the tyres and I will be able to provide the
> best Turns per mile sett up.
> Enjoy.
>
> Alan - from my iPad
>
> > On 4 Dec 2016, at 19:32, Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Listers,
> >
> > What's the thickness of the washer that is fitted between the gearbox
> and the right angle drive (PN 3H550 or Moss PN 324-720)?
> >
> > There are two MPH speedometers fitted to the 3000 MkI and MkII; one for
> overdrive and one for non-overdrive cars.  What's the speedometer
> calibration (turns per mile) for each?
> >
> >        BMC P/N    Smiths P/N   TPM
> > non-OD  BHA4124    SN6155/19     980???
> > OD      BHA4126    SN6155/21    1080???
> >
> > When fitting a 3.54:1 rear end to an overdrive equipped car, does the
> non-OD speedometer have the correct calibration?  I think that it would if
> the gear ratios for the speedometer takeoffs on the extension housing of
> the non-OD gearbox and on the overdrive were the same.  If not, what
> calibration (TPM) have folks used?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Bob Haskell
> > AHCA 3000 MkI registrar
> > http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php

> options/healeys/bluehealey@gmail.com

> options/healeys/healeyrik@gmail.com

--94eb2c05d26c66bbf40542dfec18

d a stock Healey speedometer.=C2=A0 I made a couple of attempts to get them=
 to play together that were unsuccessful.=C2=A0 I saw on another forum a GP=
S driven unit that would allow me to use my stock speedo and I became a bet=
a tester (full disclosure I get a free unit for being a beta tester) =C2=A0=
They are now in full production and the Classic Speed is now available for =
sale: =C2=A0<a href=3D"http://www.classicautoinnovations.com/classic";>http:=
//www.classicautoinnovations.com/classic</a>.=C2=A0 I&#39;m very happy with=
 it and solves the problem =C2=A0of running different non-stock rear ends a=
Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Bluehealey <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:bluehealey@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">bluehealey@gmail.com</a>&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8e=
x;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Bob.<br>
For what it&#39;s worth I have found that 1152TPM is the closest calibratio=
n I could get to suit the set up on Bluehealey.=C2=A0 I have a 3.54 Lempert=
 diff on overdrive box with 180XAS Michelins. Rolling radius of those I fou=
nd to be 312mm (12.3&quot;).<br>
The set up uses a 32tooth worm wheel and 36 tooth Odo wheel.=C2=A0 The disp=
layed mileage and actual mileage are pretty close and have been checked ove=
r a few hundred miles against a Sat Nav. Error is about 1-2%.<br>
Your tyres will be the only variable with my arrangement.<br>
Speedo calibration is all over the place. I just moved the needle, relative=
 to the drive cup, until 60mph matches my sat nav display.=C2=A0 All other =
speeds above and below will be off a margin.<br>
Give me your rolling radius of the tyres and I will be able to provide the =
best Turns per mile sett up.<br>
Enjoy.<br>
Alan - from my iPad<br>
&gt; On 4 Dec 2016, at 19:32, Bob Haskell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rchaskell@e=
arthlink.net">rchaskell@earthlink.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Listers,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What&#39;s the thickness of the washer that is fitted between the gear=
box and the right angle drive (PN 3H550 or Moss PN 324-720)?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; There are two MPH speedometers fitted to the 3000 MkI and MkII; one fo=
r overdrive and one for non-overdrive cars.=C2=A0 What&#39;s the speedomete=
r calibration (turns per mile) for each?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 BMC P/N=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Smiths P/N=C2=A0 =C2=
=A0TPM<br>
&gt; non-OD=C2=A0 BHA4124=C2=A0 =C2=A0 SN6155/19=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0980???<=
br>
&gt; OD=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 BHA4126=C2=A0 =C2=A0 SN6155/21=C2=A0 =C2=A0 108=
0???<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; When fitting a 3.54:1 rear end to an overdrive equipped car, does the =
non-OD speedometer have the correct calibration?=C2=A0 I think that it woul=
d if the gear ratios for the speedometer takeoffs on the extension housing =
of the non-OD gearbox and on the overdrive were the same.=C2=A0 If not, wha=
t calibration (TPM) have folks used?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Cheers,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Bob Haskell<br>
&gt; AHCA 3000 MkI registrar<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php"; rel=3D"noreferre=
&gt; ______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
&gt; Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"no=
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
&gt; Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>