Re: [Healeys] Reverse Gear

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Reverse Gear
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 12:39:18 -0800
--===============3698197050767070945==
 boundary="------------FF3C35291DBFA47F4B8932FF"

--------------FF3C35291DBFA47F4B8932FF

Also be careful removing the gearbox cover lest the shifter shaft detent
springs end up in the bottom of the gearbox or somewhere on your garage
floor.  Just did this; fortunately the box was out of the car and we
could retrieve the spring with a magnetic retriever thingy.

On 12/8/2016 8:44 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Hi Ed,
> Fortunately it sounds as though you don't have the interior in yet so
> the problem should be easily corrected.
> I encountered a similar issue during a BJ7 box rebuild and it turned
> out to be caused by an incorrect reverse gear detent spring.
> I had replaced the reverse shifter rod because serious wear was
> evident between the 2 detents in the rod but didn't realize that
> someone had replaced the the original detent springs for a much
> heavier which was coil binding with the replaced rod.
> Only figured it out when I discovered that it was easy to engage
> reverse with the top cover off the box.
> BIG CAUTION..  If you are playing with the gear engagement with the
> top off the box be VERY CAREFUL. it is really easy to "over travel"
> the 3/4 or 1/2 sliding hubs which will allow the synchronizer balls to
> pop out too far.
> Don't ask me how I know!!!
>
> Michael S
> BN1 #174
>
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Ed Orr <eorr@cogeco.ca
>
>     My ?66 BJ8 restoration is nearing completion and is due to visit a
>     paint buffing shop on Monday before I install all the exterior
>     bits . WE got the engine started last week and all is well with that .
>
>     Yesterday I checked out the transmission , all forward gears are
>     fine but I cannot get it into reverse , The gearshift lever moves
>     properly to the left against the spring the same 10degrees (
>     checked with a dial angle finder ) as my other BJ8 but cannot
>     engage the gear . The clutch travel seems to be OK no sign of
>     grinding engaging first gear , the other straight cut gear .
>
>     The transmission was rebuilt by Rich Chrysler?s old BMC mechanic
>     about 4 years ago but only recently installed .
>
>     Anybody had this problem .
>
>     Ed Orr
>
>     ?65 BJ8
>
>     ?66 BJ8 project

--------------FF3C35291DBFA47F4B8932FF

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Also be careful removing the gearbox cover lest the shifter shaft
    detent springs end up in the bottom of the gearbox or somewhere on
    your garage floor.  Just did this; fortunately the box was out of
    the car and we could retrieve the spring with a magnetic retriever
    thingy.<br>
      On 12/8/2016 8:44 AM, Michael Salter wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LJMYMkTJZy7kbjaNSQ-pXi1nBLtRpT77R2huGq_xTY7KQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Ed,<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Fortunately it sounds as though
          you don't have the interior in yet so the problem should be
          easily corrected.<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I encountered a similar issue
          during a BJ7 box rebuild and it turned out to be caused by an
          incorrect reverse gear detent spring. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I had replaced the reverse
          shifter rod because serious wear was evident between the 2
          detents in the rod but didn't realize that someone had
          replaced the the original detent springs for a much heavier
          which was coil binding with the replaced rod.<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Only figured it out when I
          discovered that it was easy to engage reverse with the top
          cover off the box.<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BIG CAUTION..  If you are
          playing with the gear engagement with the top off the box be
          VERY CAREFUL. it is really easy to "over travel" the 3/4 or
          1/2 sliding hubs which will allow the synchronizer balls to
          pop out too far.<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Don't ask me how I know!!!<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN1 #174  <br>
              href="mailto:eorr@cogeco.ca";
target="_blank">eorr@cogeco.ca</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                  style="FONT-SIZE:12pt;FONT-FAMILY:'Calibri';COLOR:#000000">
                      style="FONT-SIZE:11pt">My ?66 BJ8 restoration is
                      nearing completion and is due to visit a paint
                      buffing shop on Monday before I install all the
                      exterior bits . WE got the engine started last
                      week and all is well with that .</font></p>
                      style="FONT-SIZE:11pt">Yesterday I checked out the
                      transmission , all forward gears are fine but I
                      cannot get it into reverse , The gearshift lever
                      moves properly to the left against the spring the
                      same 10<span>  </span>degrees ( checked with a
                      dial angle finder ) as my other BJ8 <span> </span>but
                      cannot engage the gear . The clutch travel seems
                      to be OK no sign of grinding engaging first gear ,
                      the other straight cut gear .</font></p>
                      style="FONT-SIZE:11pt">The transmission was
                      rebuilt by Rich Chrysler?s old BMC mechanic about
                      4 years ago but only recently installed . </font></p>
                      style="FONT-SIZE:11pt">Anybody had this problem
.</font></p>
                      style="FONT-SIZE:11pt">Ed Orr</font></p>
                      style="FONT-SIZE:11pt">?65 BJ8</font></p>
                      style="FONT-SIZE:11pt">?66 BJ8 project</font></p>
      <pre wrap="">
</pre>

--------------FF3C35291DBFA47F4B8932FF--