[Healeys] FW: Caliper Piston Dustcover

Subject: [Healeys] FW: Caliper Piston Dustcover
From: simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk (Simon Lachlan)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 16:25:19 +0100

Is my memory playing me up or, having stripped and split the caliper, doesn?t
one fit pistons while it?s still split? (Just the once, as one splits the
calipers, say, every 50 years.)

Simon

Sent: 27 March 2017 13:17
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Caliper Piston Dustcover

Hi Mike,
Installing those dust covers can be very difficult however with patience and
liberal application of brake grease it can be achieved.
First, as Greg mentioned it it imperative that both the grooves in the body are
scrupulously clean. Scrape around with a dental pick to ensure that any rust is
removed.
Now insert the piston seal fully into the lower groove being sure to press it
fully home with your thumbs. Apply a little brake grease to it.
sure to press it fully home with your thumbs.
Now lightly  press the closed end of the greased piston against the dust seal
and use a small wire hook to lift the outer lip of the dust seal onto the
outside of the piston.
Now it will be possible to wiggle the piston  into the bore through both seals.
DO NOT FORCE IT IN. LIGHT THUMB PRESSURE SHOULD BE ALL THAT IS REQUIRED.
Finally use a dental pic to guide the outer lip of the dust seal into its
groove in the piston.
Only 3 to go...
Michael S
BN1 #174