[Healeys] Evans Waterless Coolant

Subject: [Healeys] Evans Waterless Coolant
From: kags at shaw.ca (Earl Kagna)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 18:27:34 -0700
Bruce:

My experience with Evans coolant:  We decided to install it after the engine
was completely rebuilt in conjunction with a full restoration.  (BJ8).  We felt
that it was an opportune time to do it was with a completely dry cooling
system..  So naturally what happened within the first 200 miles ? a failed
lower rad hose ? brand new, and a kevlar one at that.  Not the coolant?s fault,
but it illustrated an important objection to the stuff ? the cost of replacing
the amount that was lost, approx. half, which I did.

Ran it until a couple of months ago when we had to get into the engine again to
make some ?corrections?, so about 4 years total.  I decided to go back to
regular antifreeze / water coolant.  (I used the less toxic polypropylene
stuff).  The Evans has to be thoroughly cleaned out of the system with a good
proper flush when doing this.

The engine ran fine with the Evans in it ? no overheating problems, no bad
smells, no difficulties.  The big advantage is that it simply won?t boil, even
if it gets very hot.  In my opinion, he best thing that can be done for a big
Healey cooling system is to use a more efficient radiator core ? either re-core
an original radiator, or get a new aluminum radiator ? I?m told that the Wizard
works very well by people who know Healeys.

My advice ? stay with regular coolant, the Evans simply isn?t worth it.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb