[Healeys] Replacing Hypoid Axle Grease Seal

Subject: [Healeys] Replacing Hypoid Axle Grease Seal
From: rchaskell at earthlink.net (Bob Haskell)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:33:16 -0400
Dan,

I don't think using bolts in the two/three holes will generate enough
force to push the hub off.  But I haven't tried it.

I use a 3 arm puller; a 2 arm will work.  I made a thick disc (1/2"?)
that pilots on the end of the axle, has a smaller OD than the ID of the
bearing, and has a conical shaped hole in the center to accept the drive
point of the puller.

To remove the bearing from the hub, I use a hydraulic press.  Made a rod
that presses on the inner race from the seal side.  That goes against
the ram of the press.  I made some standoffs that the wheel studs fit
into so the hub is taking the load, not the wheel studs. (Didn't want
the studs to push out of the hub while pushing on the bearing.)

When installing the bearing back into the hub, you want to apply the
force on the outer race.  When installing the hub back on the car, apply
the force on just the inner race.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 MkI registrar