[Healeys] Carb tsunami

Subject: [Healeys] Carb tsunami
From: YNOTINK at msn.com (WILLIAM B LAWRENCE)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 05:52:15 +0000
I'm surprised you don't have a manual for reference. They usually have a pretty
good description and some illustrations to help with questions like these.
Don't be intimidated, SU carburetors are about as simple as they come.

1. If you have a bowl overflowing and remove the cover the float should pop to
the surface. If it doesn't rise is is full of fuel.

2. The fuel control needle valves are evidently working. If they have conical
tips they are not Grose Jets as those use a ball in a seat to seal.

3. OK

4. See 2. above. These are actually not the jets, but are needle valves that
control the fuel level in the bowl. The best have a conical viton tip which
provides a resilient seal. Some have a small spring loaded rod at the float end.

5. The needle valves fit into a brass valve body that is screwed into the bowl
lid. The needle and valve body are usually replaced as a set. There should be a
gasket between the valve body and the lid.

6. Yes, the diaphragm seals the fuel circuit and if it is cracked or split fuel
will leak as you describe. The fuel in the manifold might indicate that the
float/needle valve is set too high. If the float is too high the fuel level in
the bowl will allow fuel to siphon into the manifold. The jet is the machined
tube attached at the bottom to the diaphragm and sticking up into the venturi
bridge. When properly set up you should be able to activate the fuel pump and
remove the dash pot assemblies and see fuel within a one or two millimeters of
the top of the jet at the bridge. That indicates the proper float level.
Enrichment is done by pulling the jet down into the bridge. With the jet needle
in place that action enlarges the orifice the fuel is pulled through and thus
increases the amount of fuel permitted to enter the venturi.

Good luck.

Bill Lawrence

BN1 #554