[Healeys] Static timing

Subject: [Healeys] Static timing
From: s.hutchings at rogers.com (Stephen Hutchings)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 16:05:09 +0000 (UTC)
I remember someone saying that the Haynes manual had some poor or inaccurate
instructions within its covers.Recently I found some strange instructions for
setting up the static timing on the Healey 6 cylinder.They seem to be telling
you to set the timing with a test light at TDC, without any advance...find TDC,
turn the distributor until number one is firing, wiggle so that the play allows
your test lamp to go on and off, and tighten.The BMC shop manual says to find
TDC, and then "The crankshaft should be rotated backwards to obtain its correct
position ..." presumably to the correct degree of advance- not too precise but
the advance is acknowledged at least.
I seem to remember that the measurement is about 5/8", and that's what I've
used in the past.My rebuilt distributor came with the instructions of 10-14
degrees at idle without vacuum...would that be about 5/8", or slightly less, do
you think?
Thanks, Stephen, BJ8