[Healeys] Overdrive wiring question

Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive wiring question
From: sbyers at ec.rr.com (BJ8Healeys)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 18:15:54 -0400
The manual says:

"Connect a low-consumption test lamp (a 12 volt 2.2 watt fascia panel light
bulb is suitable) [I made a test lamp out of a single filament turn signal bulb
and a spare bulb holder I had lying around] between the top terminal "A" (Fig.
G.13)[of the throttle switch] and a convenient earthing point.

  The bulb should light when the overdrive and the ignition are both switched
on, and the gear lever is set in the third or top gear position.

  When the overdrive is switched off, the bulb should remain alight with the
throttle still closed.

  Progressively open the throttle by means of the accelerator pedal until the
light goes out.  Check the position of the throttle opening when this occurs:
it should be one-fifth open.  This position of the throttle has been reached
when a 3/16 in. (5 mm.) diameter rod can be just passed between the throttle
stop screw and the stop lever on the HD type of carburetter, or when a feeler
gauge of 0.048 in. (1.22 mm.) thickness can be inserted between the throttle
stop screw and the stop on the H4 type of carburetter used on earlier engines."

The manual procedure would account for any system slack, but it also requires
two people:  one to operate the pedal and another to monitor the light and
check the position of the throttle plates when it goes out.  It would also
require access to the throttle plates, and an estimate of what is "one fifth
open".  If that is related to the 3/16" rod, then why not just use the rod and
adjust until the light goes out?

I have an "overdrive warning" light just above the dash switch that I installed
back in the '80s when I didn't mind drilling a new hole in the dash.  When the
switch is adjusted properly, the light stays on when the dash switch is turned
off and then goes off with what seems to me a reasonable movement of the pedal.
 I would say it isn't necessary to account for slack in the system when using
the 3/16" rod.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry