[Healeys] the studs on new Austin of England badges, an interim report

Subject: [Healeys] the studs on new Austin of England badges, an interim report
From: airtightproductions at icloud.com (Steven Kingsbury)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:22:26 +0000 (GMT)
With a search on google, I found these, hope they help!

https://www.ebay.com/i/382231347016?chn=ps&dispItem=1?

https://www.ebay.com/i/180939249074?chn=ps&dispItem=1?

There seemed to be some other links also available. Good luck!?

Steven Kingsbury
BN1 #598

On Oct 23, 2017, at 12:27 AM, sentenac.rw at gmail.com wrote:

Thank you, several responders, for suggestions. I will contact Moss
tomorrow to see if they have anything better before I act.

Kees has suggested some judicious use of mastic or auto windshield
sealant to hold the badge in place.
Chris suggests that I turn the arc upside down to get a better bite.
Kurt says he gave up on the Moss product and installed his old badge.
A knowledgable expert has suggested that I Dremel the studs into pins
and fix some brass tubing around them, cemented with JB Weld (sort of
like Araldite, I think). 3/16" speed nuts would work with them.

Kees' solution is simple and cheap but I don't want to end up taking
paint off the boot lid if the badge gets damaged or pried loose. I
would like to retire my home made paint booth and spray gun for good
if possible.

The speed nuts are made so that you can sort of push them onto a pin
and expect them to hold there because of the way that the four points
are cocked in one direction. Turning the nuts upside down makes it
almost impossible to push them on and very easy to pull them off. I
could try to alter that.

My 64 year old badge looks fairly good until you compare it to a new
one. It installs with threaded nuts, too. But restoring pot metal is
iffy.

That leaves the last alternative. I have some of the right size of
brass tubing, a Dremel tool, and the JB Weld. So, absent some more
solutions I am leaning toward that. Anyone with a real original
equipment-type NOS Austin of England badge that they are willing to
part with, now is the time to speak up.

Roland

---

Healeys at autox.team.net