[Healeys] the studs on new Austin of England badges -- final report part

Subject: [Healeys] the studs on new Austin of England badges -- final report part 3
From: sentenac.rw at gmail.com (sentenac.rw at gmail.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:42:43 -0700
the end ;-)
-Roland

Moss offers very nice Austin of England badges.  As delivered they
have studs shaped like the first photo (edge).  In consulting with
Moss they believe that the studs shaped this way and of the length
provided work satisfactorily with the speed nuts they provide.  One
person at Moss tried them out while I was on the phone and found it
possible to fix the speed nut on the stud.  He didn't try it through a
boot lid, I don't believe.

However, I was unable to do this on my aluminum boot lid, there was
just not enough stud projecting through the lid to grab with the speed
nut, pressing the nut flat against the lid.  So, guided by Roger
Moment I tried plan B, which I offer here in hope that it might be of
help to someone else.

With a Dremel tool I reshaped the studs to have straight sides, not
tapered cones.  I kept the diameter the same as the top of the
original studs.  (see A of E 4.jpg)

I cut some lengths of 3/16" brass tubing 3/8" to 7/16" long to fit
over the studs, and finished shaping the studs so that the tubing
would fit.  Since the tubing will be anchored in place with JB Weld,
it isn't vital to hold tight tolerances here. (see A of E3.jpg)

I smeared JB Weld around the stud, fit the tubing over it, and filled
the remaining tubing with more JB Weld.  (see A of E 1.jpg)

It works!  I could probably have gotten away with shorter lengths of
tubing.  ( see speed nuts.jpg and Austin of England mounted.jpg)  The
speed nuts grip the straight brass better than  the tapered pot metal.
The back of the badge is dead flat.  I was advised not to try to bend
it to match exactly the contour of the lid.  It comes pretty close
except for the top of the "d".

-Roland
BN1 #724

---