[Healeys] Window glass

Subject: [Healeys] Window glass
From: sbyers at ec.rr.com (BJ8Healeys)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 18:13:55 -0500
References: <CAPAC+V4eOwP-ysxYWx42fMDKwjsORWtTuvAsYaHVkZuj_Phsjw@mail.gmail.com> <CAPAC+V49B-_DbmWDF1Wq+EvrqtBra2ri5WQsXMZ3xWBvgjYuKA@mail.gmail.com> <CAPAC+V7CrGDq-S6s85c2jOnnDnCFkKhfTHCYfc=XopApCpX3Rg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPAC+V5_GsxTuq1rL6UmVJRU-8_8a5k+i4xix8K-qjPNuCTypg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPAC+V4mnVWqkXHuMyABsC49YmwaA0fG-W+amOpLgZb+aoB+Vg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPAC+V6dY77Jy87ywBtLvm68_iRJVPABiG_POFio_W0bZHJWDg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPAC+V40zTWp2Mn=8=4H6ksiJOWUAV1Et_U55bjCOX3nyq0osw@mail.gmail.com> <CAPAC+V6AoQxSsp4Bvbb6D5+6c8VLhnYSDmUbYBg8xk2ypHbsOQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAPAC+V4cZ+B-j8TSefxExEiy=Pv46XUWEjJr0ZkKW59By7VtZg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPAC+V6A=k2TA1XxtpNszhbHubKEvLX50uLUzyA=G91TPpbevA@mail.gmail.com>
Fred, the door glass probably shattered because it had scratches on the glass
surface.  These become stress risers on the tempered glass.  The scratches
typically are vertical ones caused by the two (non-original) attachment screws
for the interior door-pull handle being too long and contacting the glass when
it is rolled up and down.

The original door-pull sheet metal screws can pull out of the inner door sheet
metal over time or instantly when pulled too hard when closing or slamming the
door, causing an enlargement of the holes.  It then becomes a problem finding
new sheet-metal screws that are large enough in diameter to screw securely into
the holes, while also short enough not to contact the glass.  Both of my door
glasses had such scratches when I bought the car, and the driver's door
shattered suddenly.   Not recognizing the real problem, I replaced the glass
without replacing the screws, and the same scratches and same shattering
occurred again later.

My permanent fix was to weld some square machine-screw nuts into the screw
holes (this required filing the holes into squares to fit the nuts, making sure
the holes stayed centered).  I cut down the length of the matching screws to
ensure they wouldn't touch the glass.  The machine  screws and nuts have a
stronger tensile capability than the sheet metal screws and inner door panel
and after 10 years no problem with scratches or the door-pull handle pulling
out.

I bought new door glasses from Moss Motors and they work fine, but the sealing
rubber also supplied by Moss didn't work at all.  This was 10 years ago, so
they may have fixed that problem since then.   I had a local glass shop install
the glass into the frames, with new nylon guides.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large