[Healeys] two post lift for lifting Healey (and other family cars)

Subject: [Healeys] two post lift for lifting Healey (and other family cars)
From: JimFrakes at frakes-eng.com (Jim Frakes)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 11:31:41 -0400
I have three 4 post lifts and one two post. Four posts limit some access due to
the width of the platforms but I use them the most.
Two posts are a pain in the butt for the Healey. The spread between the two
front arms are not bad. The rear won't clear the muffler.
So I have to jack up the back sides, one at a time and place a 1-1/2 foot long
2 x 12 underneath the back wheels, and drive the car on. The 2 by 12 is
chamfered to easily drive on. Then swing the rear arm past the muffler and
reach underneath and put the rubber pad support back on, while on my knees. I
have to put the longer pad spacer on to reach the frame. Hopefully the muffler
is not hot at this point. This is going to raise the rear 2 inches higher than
the front, unless I also add the 2 x 12's to the front. If I don?t, it will
look like a "Wedge" Racer or old Chrysler, with the front being tilted down by
2 inches.
Speaking of the front, the car must be centered exactly, or at least within two
inches or the front frame rails can't be accessed. The Healey frame width is so
narrow, the arms barely reach the frame and even then, they set just under the
cowling. Kind of precarious as the distance between the front pair and rear
pair is from the cowling to just in front of the rear wheels.
Someone else may have a different experience, but that is mine.
That is with any of the three BJ8 phase II's. I have never tried my BN4, a BN6,
or the two bugeyes or the square body,
Other's may have a different opinion or a different model.
If you want pix, I can take some.
Jim Frakes