[Healeys] Brake Fluid

Subject: [Healeys] Brake Fluid
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 06:51:25 -0700
After we completely restored our BN2, it sat for several years while my
dad dealt with some health problems.? When I started driving it again we
found the brake fluid--IIRC it was Castrol DoT 4--had gelled, rendering
the brakes all but inoperable.? Don't recall how we cleaned-out the
system, but I put Pentosin DoT 4 in and we've had no problems since (I
believe it was close to 10 years ago).? The car still sits for long
periods, but has had no brake issues.

I haven't thoroughly researched it, but I think manufacturers calling
any brake fluid 'synthetic' is a marketing ploy, as it's been a
glycol--not a 'natural' substance--for many decades.? I think Pentosin
is recommended for BMWs and other German cars (I put some Pentosin power
steering fluid in my GF's old VW).? IIRC it's pretty expensive, but
appears to be worth it.

Bob