[Healeys] Tires for BJ8

Subject: [Healeys] Tires for BJ8
From: thehartnetts at earthlink.net (Len and/or Marge Hartnett)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:28:09 -0700
This is an update regarding my e-mail to The List that was a response to Earl
Kagna.  He stated that the Michelin XAS tire required an inner tube.  I stated
that I had XAS tires on tubeless wire wheels without inner tubes.  Earl
questioned what tire I actually had.

I went out to the garage and "read" my tires. They are 180 HR 15 XAS. Then, I
went around the tire to see what else might be imbedded in the rubber. Right
below "MICHELIN" in plain sight, it says, (drum roll), "Tube Type" (cymbal
crash)

Not the wheel seller or the tire seller/installer mentioned that to me. That
could be understandable since the tires were purchased some time after wheels.
 ..
So, what now? I need to find out why those tires need a tube and is it
important enough that I should dismount them and install tubes? Does it have
something to do with the mold and whether it will fit the rim properly?  Is it
the inner construction that needs the support of the inner tube to keep it from
falling apart?  Does the wider sidewall need the support to limit flexing?

I will try to find out what Michelin has to say about this.

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031