[Healeys] Fwd: Adjusting BN7 Steering Box

Subject: [Healeys] Fwd: Adjusting BN7 Steering Box
From: mark at bradakis.com (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 12:50:39 -0600
To send mail to healeys at autox.team.net, you send mail to
healeys at autox.team.net

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Adjusting BN7 Steering Box
Date:   Tue, 24 Jul 2018 10:36:24 -0700
From:   Ron Fine <ronfineesq at earthlink.net>

Having recently rebuild the steering box with new cam bearings and races
I am now struggling with adjusting the slack (or backlash) in the
steering wheel.I thought that I had set the correct end float or preload
on the bearings when I had the box out of the car.The steering wheel
turned freely without any binding.Now with the steering box back in the
car I have way too much slack even with the adjusting pin screwed down
as far as it can go without totally binding and freezing the steering wheel.

I suspect my earlier adjustment of the end float might not have been
right so I am about to remove the front plate and see if adjusting the
shims again will resolve this problem.

Can anyone give me a suggestion for how to get this adjustment correct?I
have read Norm Nock's Teck Talk book, and the Bentley book but there is
not much guidance there. Is there any other method to confirm the
correct adjustment other than trial and error?

Thanks

Ron Fine

BN7