Re: [Healeys] Fuel Pumps (AGAIN!)

To: "rrengineer.mike@att.net" <rrengineer.mike@att.net>, Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel Pumps (AGAIN!)
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 14:44:17 -0800

--------------F07E9695FC06A2904595A0C8

Got a couple suggestions for the Hardi pump:

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/austin-healey/bn4-bj8/fuel-pump-electronic-dual-polarity-banjo-bj8.html

I'm tempted, but it appears the input and output ports are canted to
each other, I'm not sure I could twist my copper fuel lines to fit them
(the SU pumps have parallel ports).  I don't see how the bolt up to the
existing bracket, either.  Anybody fitted one to a BJ8 with stock
plumbing?  Photos?

Bob

On 11/27/2018 2:59 AM, Michael MacLean wrote:
> [...]
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>     On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 12:53 AM, Bob Spidell
>     <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>     I've been using fuel pumps with Dave DuBois' opto-electric mods for
>     years.  Although Dave's work and response is impeccable I've not had
>     consistent success with them, though everything in the design and
>     implementation indicates they should be infallible.  I had 3 'in
>     rotation;' one failed after less than a thousand miles this summer--I
>     changed it out for another DD conversion on the side of the road--and
>     that one has now failed.  It worked fine after installation for over
>     5,000 miles but has sat in my shop for about 5 months, and failed to
>     answer the call today.  I swapped in my last 'spare' and, so far it's
>     working though I've only put about 10 miles on it.  Others have
>     worked
>     for over 10K miles before expiring. Apparently, Dave has health
>     issues
>     so cannot address the problems with these pumps.
>
>     Although having committed to these solid state conversions I still
>     have
>     plenty of parts to assemble a couple points-driven pumps.  Problem
>     is, I
>     haven't had good luck with them either and, last I checked, the
>     aftermarket points are of suspect quality (Dave concurred with this
>     assessment).  I have studied all aspects of these pumps and done
>     my best
>     to assemble and adjust them, and they aren't abused in
>     service--though
>     some have suffered from getting, er, 'moist' in serious
>     rainstorms--and
>     I just don't understand it (I've 'fixed' a couple in motel rooms).  I
>     know Kees and others have gotten years and thousands of mile off
>     points
>     they don't work reliably for me and, yes, I've used capacitors,
>     transistors, diodes and TVSes for spark suppression, all with the
>     same
>     erratic longevity and reliability.  I do think, at over 5K
>     miles/year on
>     my BJ8 I probably work my car harder than most but still think I
>     should
>     be able to get more from these pumps.  I don't abuse them aside from
>     driving my car fairly frequently and for one long trip of up to 5K
>     miles
>     every year.
>
>     Still, I will stick with SU pumps because, well, just because.
>     They are
>     the heartbeat of a Healey and the kind that run continuously are
>     annoying.   But, I don't know where to go from here.  I hate to buy
>     another as I probably have enough parts to assemble 4 or 5 with
>     points
>     (if I could find good quality points).  SC Parts was advertising an
>     aftermarket substitute--diaphragm type--but it has weird
>     fittings--I'm
>     not going to cut into my original banjo-fitted pipes--and is for

  <head>
  </head>
href="https://www.bpnorthwest.com/austin-healey/bn4-bj8/fuel-pump-electronic-dual-polarity-banjo-bj8.html";>https://www.bpnorthwest.com/austin-healey/bn4-bj8/fuel-pump-electronic-dual-polarity-banjo-bj8.html</a></p>
      to each other, I'm not sure I could twist my copper fuel lines to
      fit them (the SU pumps have parallel ports).  I don't see how the
      bolt up to the existing bracket, either.  Anybody fitted one to a
      BJ8 with stock plumbing?  Photos?</p>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1488043890.3256699.1543316375545@mail.yahoo.com">
      Bob,
        the direct replacement German SU style pumps at British Parts
        Northwest.  I hear they are very reliable..</div>
          id="yMail_cursorElementTracker_1543316156444">
href="https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&amp;c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&amp;af_wl=ym&amp;af_sub1=Internal&amp;af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&amp;af_sub3=EmailSignature";
            moz-do-not-send="true">Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android</a></div>
href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>&lt;bspidell@comcast.net&gt;</a> wrote:</div>
            border-left: 1px solid #6D00F6;">
              opto-electric mods for <br>
              impeccable I've not had <br>
              everything in the design and <br>
              infallible.  I had 3 'in <br>
              thousand miles this summer--I <br>
              the side of the road--and <br>
              after installation for over <br>
              5 months, and failed to <br>
              'spare' and, so far it's <br>
              on it.  Others have worked <br>
              Apparently, Dave has health issues <br>
              pumps.<br>
              state conversions I still have <br>
              points-driven pumps.  Problem is, I <br>
              last I checked, the <br>
              (Dave concurred with this <br>
              these pumps and done my best <br>
              abused in service--though <br>