Re: [Healeys] delayed emails

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] delayed emails
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:28:44 -0700
On 2/17/19 9:25 AM, Bob Haskell wrote:
> Listers,
>
> This is probably a question for mjb, but wondering if other folks are
> receiving emails many days after they've been written?  A couple of
> days ago I received rkeysor's email about his aluminum radiator
> installation that was sent on January 23rd.  Yesterday, got Bill
> Lawrence's question about hydrolastic fluid from the 27th.

What is happening in these cases is that the messages are getting pulled
out of the queue for some reason and being set aside until they can be
reviewed by the admin guy, which is me.  I get a couple hundred such
messages each and every day.  Sometimes it takes me a while to get
through them all.  The vast majority are spam, but there are a few
legitimate emails, such as the ones to which you refer.  When I get to
dealing with them I approve them and they get sent out, and as you
noticed, it can be weeks before that happens.  That is strictly my
fault, I don't spend 24/7/365 at the keyboard dealing with such issues.

What has also been happening over the last few years is that there is a
delay of several hours for regular messgaes to get through the system.
I have looked into that and have yet to determine if it is a problem
with the software, or perhaps some hardware issue that causes major
delays in disk reads and writes. But I am trying to deal with that, at
the moment leaning towards getting a brand new box with a new OS on
line.  I wrote this on another list earlier.

====

> MJB wrote : "...I'll give fair warning...(when bringing a new server
> online)." : that should be a sign for us to donate some money,
> eventually for a professional grade server.
> How much money is such a server?
> Marcel

A nice, state of the art server would run about 3 - 4 thousand. But
these days Team.Net doesn't do the volume of email and web services as
it did back in its prime, the first decade or so after coming online
back in 1991.  Back then it took serious hardware and expertise to
provide such services, and high capacity network connections to private
residents were rare and expensive.  In those early days I'd do annual
fund drives, and out of the 15 - 16 thousand subscribers would get a
couple thousand dollars which covered the monthly charges and hardware
maintenance.  At that time if every subscriber sent me like 5 bucks a
year Team.Net would have been my full time job, and I would have been
able to spend more time on my Triumphs.

Nowadays anybody and their dog can easily set up a web page, Team.Net is
not the only game in town.  Back then some of the popular lists had a
thousand or so folks on them, and saw a dozen or more messages per day.
Peak traffic would be about 5 million email transactions a month.  As I
recall when I attended the Silver Anniversary SCCA Solo II Nationals in
1997, roughly two thirds of those entered in the event were subscribed
to the autox list here.

So now it is a lot less hectic for me, still have to deal with hundreds
of spam messages a day, constant bounces and such.  But it it
manageable.   No need for annual fund drives, computers and a network
connection are something I would have anyway.  So the bottom line is we
don't need a several thousand dollar machine. An appropriately
configured PC intended for the home market would have the necessary
computing power to handle the current Team.Net load.  I plan on going to
Best Buy to get a new clock radio later today, maybe I'll take a stroll
though the computer section, see what's out there.

====

That message did kick loose a few dollars  through the donate link in
every outgoing message.  So chances are good there will be a new machine
doing the work within a week or two.  So the many hour delay could be
fixed soon, no ETA on when the scatterbrained, procrastinating man
behind the curtain will manage to never get behind in moderator approvals.

Oh, I never did get to shopping around for a new clock radio.

mjb.