Re: [Healeys] Brakes -rear wheel cylinders

To: Mike MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brakes -rear wheel cylinders
From: Bluehealey <bluehealey@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 18:29:40 +0000
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
The 100-6 had drum brakes.
The BT7 was fitted with discs and Type 14 calipers (7/8â?? dia. pistons) paired
with 3/4â?? rear cylinders.  That is the way to go.
BJ8 used Type 16 calipers and also 3/4â?? rear cylinders. That is also good but
gives slightly longer pedal travel. BMC compensated by increasing the Master
cylinder size and adding a servo. Not strictly necessary but gave good results
with lower pedal effort.
You pays your money and take your choices.
If you stay with 1â?? rear cylinders the rears will lock under hard braking and
potentially cause you switch ends.  Not recommended.
AlanB
Bluehealey.com