Re: [Healeys] Towards better braking performance

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Towards better braking performance
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 23:13:19 +0200

--------------59BAB78EDEE4DE4240B81A64

As the rear brake linings have been exposed to oil, even very little,
replace them forthwith. You will not be able to clean them completely
free of oil. You also have replaced the font brake pads recently. Did
you use the original compound/make/type? These days EBC Greenstuff is
widely suggested as a good modern replacement in older cars. If you use
Girling/Lockheed/Don/Mintex/etc. or equivalent pads you probably should
not use the *H*ard compound but the *M*edium compound, preferably NOS
asbestos containing ones if you can get hold of them.

Glazing of the discs could be a sign that the brakes are slightly
binding or that you are very gentle when braking. Brakes should be used
hard once in a while to clean the pads and discs and to prevent the
pistons getting stuck.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 29-9-2019 om 22:39 schreef Michael Oritt:

> [...]
>     what seems like less braking response. I know this is a very
>     subjective statement and I have no way of quantifying the braking
>     but I have been driving my car for 20 years and am sure that it
>     just isn't stopping the way it used to.
>
>     Here is some background information:
>
>     1. I just, as in last week, replaced the brake hoses front and
>     rear with a set of braided stainless hoses obtained from Old
>     Phartz. I used him as opposed to Moss or other suppliers because I
>     have BT7 front discs and stock 100 rears which take a different
>     rear hose than the 6-cylinder cars, and he was willing to "Mix and
>     Match" the later front hoses and original rear hose, whereas Moss
>     only wanted to sell me two kits. It took a bit longer to obtain
>     them than originally promised but what came in was great--actually
>     about 3/4" more in length which made installation a bit easier.
>
>     2. I also just--last week--rebuilt the master cylinder and
>     installed new rear wheel cylinders, and in the process flushed the
>     hydraulic system entirely and refilled with Wilwood 570 high-temp
>     Dot 4 fluid. The system is positively bled and the pedal is nice
>     and hard and where it should be with just a bit of free movement.
>
>     3. The front pads and rear shoes have been replaced within the
>     last twelve months and probably have less than 3K miles on them.
>     Nevertheless the rotors seem to have a "glazed" appearance and the
>     rear shoes have definitely been exposed to some slight leakage of
>     diff oil, though not enough to saturate them.
>     Shoes and drums were cleaned following cylinder replacement.
>
>     4. I have a restrictor valve on the line to the rear brakes which,
>     when turned down all the way, reduces fluid flow to approximately
>     60% of wide open. I have the valve turned all the way to
>     reduced-flow in order to maximize fluid delivery/pressure to the
>     front brakes as they do most of the work. There is a definite
>     falling off in brake performance as the valve is opened.
>
>     5. The rear brakes are properly adjusted and the parking brake is
>     functional when engaged.
>
>     6. I can, with extreme pedal pressure, lock the front brakes with
>     little or no side-to-side pulling.
>
>     7. Tires are Michelin XAS with plenty of tread and 30 psi all around.
>
>     I just lost my lease to a warehouse space I have been renting and
>     must clear out in a few weeks, so for that and other reasons I am
>     not able to undertake any big project such as putting in a servo
>     or replacing the front rotors with some racing stuff or rear
>     brakes with discs, etc. However I am able to put on new front pads
>     and rear shoes, and perhaps have the front rotors turned if need
>     be. So I guess what I am looking for is some recommendations on
>     what materials I might use to give good braking with reasonable
>     pedal effort. I do my racing on a track in my other cars and am
>     */not /*looking to equip the Healey with rock hard pads/shoes. I
>     merely want to improve the car's braking so I do not have to stand

  <head>
  </head>
      little, replace them forthwith. You will not be able to clean them
      completely free of oil. You also have replaced the font brake pads
      recently. Did you use the original compound/make/type? These days
      EBC Greenstuff is widely suggested as a good modern replacement in
      older cars. If you use Girling/Lockheed/Don/Mintex/etc. or
      equivalent pads you probably should not use the <b>H</b>ard
      compound but the <b>M</b>edium compound, preferably NOS asbestos
      containing ones if you can get hold of them.</p>
      binding or that you are very gentle when braking. Brakes should be
      used hard once in a while to clean the pads and discs and to
      prevent the pistons getting stuck.</p>
      Oritt:<br>
cite="mid:CAPTa0B6=H_6ptYAk42oM0wa_8+G42rxr7bwxBSriq1sjzhm=qQ@mail.gmail.com">
          <h2 class="gmail-title gmail-icon" style="margin:0px 0px
            5px;padding:10px 10px 5px
0px;font-variant-numeric:normal;font-variant-east-asian:normal;font-stretch:normal;font-size:14px;line-height:normal;font-family:Tahoma,Calibri,Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;border-bottom:1px
            solid

rgb(200,200,200);color:rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(250,250,250)"><br>
          </h2>
style="margin:0px;padding:0px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250)">
              style="margin:0px;padding:0px">
                style="margin:0px;padding:0px;overflow:hidden">Whether
                due to aging of the driver or brake materials--or
                both--it appears that lately I must exert a lot of pedal
                pressure to get what seems like less braking response. I
                know this is a very subjective statement and I have no
                way of quantifying the braking but I have been driving
                my car for 20 years and am sure that it just isn't
                stopping the way it used to.<br>
                Here is some background information:<br>
                1. I just, as in last week, replaced the brake hoses
                front and rear with a set of braided stainless hoses
                obtained from Old Phartz. I used him as opposed to Moss
                or other suppliers because I have BT7 front discs and
                stock 100 rears which take a different rear hose than
                the 6-cylinder cars, and he was willing to "Mix and
                Match" the later front hoses and original rear hose,
                whereas Moss only wanted to sell me two kits. It took a
                bit longer to obtain them than originally promised but
                what came in was great--actually about 3/4" more in
                length which made installation a bit easier.<br>
                2. I also just--last week--rebuilt the master cylinder
                and installed new rear wheel cylinders, and in the
                process flushed the hydraulic system entirely and
                refilled with Wilwood 570 high-temp Dot 4 fluid. The
                system is positively bled and the pedal is nice and hard
                and where it should be with just a bit of free movement.<br>
                3. The front pads and rear shoes have been replaced
                within the last twelve months and probably have less
                than 3K miles on them. Nevertheless the rotors seem to
                have a "glazed" appearance and the rear shoes have
                definitely been exposed to some slight leakage of diff
                oil, though not enough to saturate them.<br>
                Shoes and drums were cleaned following cylinder
                replacement.<br>
                4. I have a restrictor valve on the line to the rear
                brakes which, when turned down all the way, reduces
                fluid flow to approximately 60% of wide open. I have the
                valve turned all the way to reduced-flow in order to
                maximize fluid delivery/pressure to the front brakes as
                they do most of the work. There is a definite falling
                off in brake performance as the valve is opened.<br>
                5. The rear brakes are properly adjusted and the parking
                brake is functional when engaged.<br>
                6. I can, with extreme pedal pressure, lock the front
                brakes with little or no side-to-side pulling.<br>
                7. Tires are Michelin XAS with plenty of tread and 30
                psi all around.<br>
                I just lost my lease to a warehouse space I have been
                renting and must clear out in a few weeks, so for that
                and other reasons I am not able to undertake any big
                project such as putting in a servo or replacing the
                front rotors with some racing stuff or rear brakes with
                discs, etc. However I am able to put on new front pads
                and rear shoes, and perhaps have the front rotors turned
                if need be. So I guess what I am looking for is some
                recommendations on what materials I might use to give
                good braking with reasonable pedal effort. I do my
                racing on a track in my other cars and
                to equip the Healey with rock hard pads/shoes. I merely
                want to improve the car's braking so I do not have to
                stand on the pedal to get the car to stop.<br>
                Best--Michael Oritt<br>
                1954 BN1 LeMans</blockquote>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________