Re: [Healeys] Rear Axle Oil

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear Axle Oil
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 09:20:05 -0800
Short answer: Yes.

My typical long-winded reply:

I've used Redline 75W-90 in both my BJ8 and BN2 diffs for years with no
issues, except you might get a bit more leakage, esp. if your pinion
seal is aged (sealing the plugs with thread sealant seems to work).  A
couple years ago I switched to RL's 75W-140 in the BJ8 to damp some
whine--helps a little--again with no issues (might increase my 0-60
times by 0.00001 second).

We recently had a discussion about whether it was a good idea to use
GL-4 or GL-5 in our diffs due to their alleged hatred of 'yellow'
metals--brass or bronze--and David Nock confirmed to me there are some
bronze thrust washers in the diffs but neither he, with vastly more
experience, nor I have had any issues with it.  Days spent in the
library--OK, 5 minutes on the interwebs--produced a more-or-less
consensus that the worst it would do is turn yellow metals black. I've
had the RL in my BJ8 for, probably, 100K miles, and I recently rebuilt
its gearbox that I'd run MT-90 (GL-4) in for many years and 140K miles
and the shift forks showed no excessive wear or discoloration.

Bob