Re: [Healeys] Front Brake Pads and Rotors

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Front Brake Pads and Rotors
From: "R. Lindsay" <050.rpl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 17:25:47 -0500
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-19A94766-CA60-4A07-827A-2034651CBA9C
        charset=utf-8

I put everything in as the manual says - spacer, washer with notch, shims, e=
tc. I will take the calipers off and see where that leads me.=20

Thanks.=20

Price Lindsay

Cell: 630-841-6300
Email: 050.rpl@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 4:43 PM, Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Price, IMHO something is wrong with what has been done.
> My thoughts..
> I would suggest that you first check that the brake rotor is centered in t=
he caliper.
> The dust shields can be easily bent back a little to clear the caliper but=
 if you didn't have a rubbing problem before the work it is unlikely that th=
e shields are the problem because you should not have needed to take them of=
f.
> Are you sure that you reinstalled the BTC431 spacers that go onto the stub=
 axles before anything else?
>=20
>=20
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020, 4:23 PM R. Lindsay, <050.rpl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I recently changed and repacked my front bearings and installed new pads.=
 I used Bosch brake pads which I think must be slightly thicker. When I test=
 drove the car I could tell that the pads were very slightly engaged. I pres=
ume this will go away with time but wonder if I=E2=80=99m causing damage.
>>=20
>> The bigger issue is that when I drive straight away there seems to be a s=
light metallic rubbing sound.  When I put the car on jack stands and turn th=
e wheels by hand, there is a slight rubbing if I move the tires as if the ca=
r is moving forward but find it extremely hard to turn the tires by hand in t=
he direction they would turn if backing up.=20
>>=20
>> Also, when I make a turn, the slight sound becomes very pronounced and =E2=
=80=9Crattle like.=E2=80=9D  I think something may be rubbing against the du=
st covers. When I spun the tires before putting the wheels on I could hear t=
he same sound. Could the disk be warped and or the dust cover bent?  I eyed t=
he disc and it doesn=E2=80=99t seem to wobble but then the brake shoes may b=
e keeping it in line. Can the dust cover be straightened (or bent away from t=
he rotor) or do I need to buy new parts?
>>=20
>> If the suggestion is to replace the rotors, should I go for the $200 dril=
led/slotted rotors or spend $58 for the standard version?  (I do not drive t=
he car hard or race it.)
>>=20
>> Thank you for any help you can provide!
>>=20
>> Price Lindsay
>> 67 BJ8
>>=20
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael=
salter@gmail.com
>>=20

--Apple-Mail-19A94766-CA60-4A07-827A-2034651CBA9C
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">I put everything in as the manual says - sp=
acer, washer with notch, shims, etc. I will take the calipers off and see wh=
v dir=3D"ltr"><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Jan 16, 2020, at 4:43 PM, Mic=
, IMHO something is wrong with what has been done.<div dir=3D"auto">My thoug=
hts..<br><div dir=3D"auto">I would suggest that you first check that the bra=
ke rotor is centered in the caliper.</div><div dir=3D"auto">The dust shields=
 can be easily bent back a little to clear the caliper but if you didn't hav=
e a rubbing problem before the work it is unlikely that the shields are the p=
roblem because you should not have needed to take them off.</div><div dir=3D=
"auto">Are you sure that you reinstalled the BTC431 spacers that go onto the=
ass=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Jan 16, 2020, 4:23 PM R. Lindsay, &lt;<a href=3D"=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc so=
lid;padding-left:1ex">I recently changed and repacked my front bearings and i=
nstalled new pads. I used Bosch brake pads which I think must be slightly th=
icker. When I test drove the car I could tell that the pads were very slight=
ly engaged. I presume this will go away with time but wonder if I=E2=80=99m c=
ausing damage.<br>
The bigger issue is that when I drive straight away there seems to be a slig=
ht metallic rubbing sound.&nbsp; When I put the car on jack stands and turn t=
he wheels by hand, there is a slight rubbing if I move the tires as if the c=
ar is moving forward but find it extremely hard to turn the tires by hand in=
 the direction they would turn if backing up. <br>
Also, when I make a turn, the slight sound becomes very pronounced and =E2=80=
=9Crattle like.=E2=80=9D&nbsp; I think something may be rubbing against the d=
ust covers. When I spun the tires before putting the wheels on I could hear t=
he same sound. Could the disk be warped and or the dust cover bent?&nbsp; I e=
yed the disc and it doesn=E2=80=99t seem to wobble but then the brake shoes m=
ay be keeping it in line. Can the dust cover be straightened (or bent away f=
rom the rotor) or do I need to buy new parts?<br>
If the suggestion is to replace the rotors, should I go for the $200 drilled=
/slotted rotors or spend $58 for the standard version?&nbsp; (I do not drive=
 the car hard or race it.)<br>
Thank you for any help you can provide!<br>
Price Lindsay<br>
67 BJ8<br>
Sent from my iPhone<br>
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferrer=
 noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a h=
ref=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
r">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
s</a><br>
/michaelsalter@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>

--Apple-Mail-19A94766-CA60-4A07-827A-2034651CBA9C--

--===============2485306472139986939==