[Healeys] Lucas 6RA Relays

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Lucas 6RA Relays
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 17:22:10 -0500

--000000000000ac4795059d3a9c92

One for the electrical geniuses.
As I sort my way through my boxes and boxes of electrical parts I  keep
coming across Lucas 6RA relays. These are the ones in the little steel box
with the bracket on the back with 2 mounting holes.
Ignoring those with more than 4 terminals I must have at least 15 different
Lucas part numbers for what appears to be the same relay.
All are 12 volt and all have 4 terminals
W1 & W2 which are the coil (winding) and C1 & C2 which are the contacts ...
like what get switched.
A couple are normally closed contracts (NC) but the vast majority are
normally open (NO).
I have checked the continuity between the various terminals and in all
cases the C terminals are isolated from the W terminals and all terminals
are isolated from the steel enclosure.
I've opened a few up and,  internally,  as far as I can tell, they appear
to be virtually identical.
So ... to my question ... why all the different part numbers, as I
understand it these things are essentially an electrically operated switch,
what can be so different between them that they need to have so many
different part numbers?
Perhaps I should also mention that Lucas is very particular in requiring a
specific part number for each application... what am I missing.
Please avoid comments referring to the long Canadian winter  ... they make
my wife angry ... she's a local and they get a bit sensitive when such is
mentioned =F0=9F=98=8A

--000000000000ac4795059d3a9c92

s I sort my way through my boxes and boxes of electrical parts I=C2=A0 keep=
 coming across Lucas 6RA relays. These are the ones in the little steel box=
 with the bracket on the back with 2 mounting holes.</div><div dir=3D"auto"=
>Ignoring those with more than 4 terminals I must have at least 15 differen=
t Lucas part numbers for what appears to be the same relay.</div><div dir=
=3D"auto">All are 12 volt and all have 4 terminals=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"a=
uto">W1 &amp; W2 which are the coil (winding) and C1 &amp; C2 which are the=
 contacts ... like what get switched.</div><div dir=3D"auto">A couple are n=
ormally closed contracts (NC) but the vast majority are normally open (NO).=
erminals and in all cases the C terminals are isolated from the W terminals=
 and all terminals are isolated from the steel enclosure.</div><div dir=3D"=
auto">I&#39;ve opened a few up and,=C2=A0 internally,=C2=A0 as far as I can=
 tell, they appear to be virtually=C2=A0identical.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"a=
uto">So ... to my question ... why all the different part numbers, as I=C2=
=A0 understand it these things are essentially an electrically operated swi=
tch, what can be so different between them that they need to have so many d=
ifferent part numbers?</div><div dir=3D"auto">Perhaps I should also mention=
 that Lucas is very particular in requiring a specific part number for each=
 application... what am I missing.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Please avoid comm=
ents referring to the long Canadian winter=C2=A0 ... they make my wife angr=
y ... she&#39;s a local and they get a bit sensitive when such is mentioned=

--000000000000ac4795059d3a9c92--

--===============3223779661423334041==