[Healeys] The Saturday Night Rant - Part III

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] The Saturday Night Rant - Part III
From: Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 04:52:12 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_885969_650346753.1589086332323

At my age (approaching this side of 70) I am on lock down at my house.=C2=
=A0 I even have my groceries delivered.=C2=A0 I will only go out to eat at =
a drive through with an N95 mask on.=C2=A0 My Boston Terrier that goes with=
 me does not wear one.=C2=A0 He refuses, but he is only three years old.=C2=
=A0 So, being sequestered to my domicile I have taken up the restoration of=
 my BN2 with a vengeance.=C2=A0 I did not know I knew so many off color phr=
ases.=C2=A0 Everything to be done on this car is difficult due to parts inc=
ompatibility, parts fit, parts unavailability or just=C2=A0 my general igno=
rance and/or incompetence.=C2=A0 This evening I finished mounting the right=
 side front hub with all new parts.=C2=A0 I thought I had done a nice job.=
=C2=A0 No lateral play in the hub.=C2=A0 Turns easily without binding.=C2=
=A0 The correct amount of shims after much trial and error.=C2=A0 Disc brak=
e conversion was mounted and braided stainless steel flex brake lines hooke=
d up at both ends.=C2=A0 I have yet to run the brake lines.=C2=A0 Maybe nex=
t.=C2=A0=C2=A0 This rant is about the brand new Dayton wire wheels.=C2=A0 I=
 mounted the wire wheels which have temporary used tires on them so I can m=
ove the car when it is down off the dollies.=C2=A0 After mounting the wheel=
 I gave the two eared knockoff several pretty good whacks.=C2=A0 Now the mo=
ment of truth.=C2=A0 I grabbed the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock position and pu=
lled straight back and forth.=C2=A0 Yay! No play, but when I rocked the whe=
el it moved slightly.=C2=A0 I thought it was the hub, but looking closely y=
ou can see the wire wheel hub rocking back and forth in the knockoff!=C2=A0=
 What!?!=C2=A0 How hard are you supposed to hit those knockoffs?Mike MacLea=

------=_Part_885969_650346753.1589086332323

ly:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:16px;"><div dir=3D"ltr=
" data-setdir=3D"false">At my age (approaching this side of 70) I am on loc=
k down at my house.&nbsp; I even have my groceries delivered.&nbsp; I will =
only go out to eat at a drive through with an N95 mask on.&nbsp; My Boston =
Terrier that goes with me does not wear one.&nbsp; He refuses, but he is on=
ly three years old.&nbsp; So, being sequestered to my domicile I have taken=
 up the restoration of my BN2 with a vengeance.&nbsp; I did not know I knew=
 so many off color phrases.&nbsp; Everything to be done on this car is diff=
icult due to parts incompatibility, parts fit, parts unavailability or just=
&nbsp; my general ignorance and/or incompetence.&nbsp; This evening I finis=
hed mounting the right side front hub with all new parts.&nbsp; I thought I=
 had done a nice job.&nbsp; No lateral play in the hub.&nbsp; Turns easily =
without binding.&nbsp; The correct amount of shims after much trial and err=
or.&nbsp; Disc brake conversion was mounted and braided stainless steel fle=
x brake lines hooked up at both ends.&nbsp; I have yet to run the brake lin=
es.&nbsp; Maybe next.&nbsp;&nbsp; This rant is about the brand new Dayton w=
ire wheels.&nbsp; I mounted the wire wheels which have temporary used tires=
 on them so I can move the car when it is down off the dollies.&nbsp; After=
 mounting the wheel I gave the two eared knockoff several pretty good whack=
s.&nbsp; Now the moment of truth.&nbsp; I grabbed the wheel at 9 and 3 o'cl=
ock position and pulled straight back and forth.&nbsp; Yay! No play, but wh=
en I rocked the wheel it moved slightly.&nbsp; I thought it was the hub, bu=
t looking closely you can see the wire wheel hub rocking back and forth in =
the knockoff!&nbsp; What!?!&nbsp; How hard are you supposed to hit those kn=
------=_Part_885969_650346753.1589086332323--

--===============3362599081104975289==