[Healeys] 100 BN2 Fuel tank fitting stripped

To: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 100 BN2 Fuel tank fitting stripped
From: Bert Van Brande via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 04:09:58 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

It's been a while!  After a long hiatus (putting 5 kids through college and
working out of state and abroad). I am in the final stretch on restoring my 56
100 BN2.  The previous weekend, i finished the windscreen and this Memorial
weekend, I installed and wired up the indicators (LED based) and installed the
tonneau and some small tasks like fixing badges.  Interior and some small tasks
are all that's left.

My seat frames, bases, etc,.. have been on the way for 2 weeks but will arrive
at Geoff Chrysler place tomorrow to work his magic.  He will also make the
Armacord pieces for the rear deck.  I am happy Rich son is involved and
continues his dad's legacy.

I ran into a small snag that needs some technical advice: the thread on the
(brass) female fuel fitting on my gastank has stripped and I can't get enough
pressure to create a seal on the compression fitting.  When I bought the tank
off ebay, I chased the threads some 9 years ago.  I then installed the fuel
pIpe, sourced from Mr. Finespanner, so a stock/original setup.  The tank
probably had an NPT fitting screwed in at some point in time, else i blame the
ethanol.

I am looking at my options:

-Installing a 1/4 BSP Helicoil.  I not sure that I can drill/tap deep enough
for the Helicoil, I don't want to destroy the mating surface of the compression
fitting.
-Drilling/tapping for a slightly larger diameter fitting.  1/4 NPT?  1/4
NPTF?  Same concern as above.
-Finding an original 1/4 BSP flange fitting from a donor tank and solder it in
place? Is the pickup line integrated?  Anybody has a donor?
-Solder in the original 1/4 BSPP Male fitting and solder in the fuel pipe
without the compression sleeve, cutting the line behind the bulkhead and
reconnecting with a piece of flexible pipe.  All in a way the tank can be
removed at later date.
-Buy. a new fuel tank,

I guess enough options, I am probably overthinking it.  What's the best
solution?

thanks,

Bert