Re: [Healeys] Sealants and fasteners

To: gradea1@charter.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Sealants and fasteners
From: Steven Kingsbury via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 18:48:39 -0000 MailServer2008B698.10000-Famine2008-0-e872bd08a786 definitions=2020-05-31_12:2020-05-28, 2020-05-31 signatures=0 malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 mlxscore=0 mlxlogscore=999 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.0.1-2002250000 definitions=main-2005310153
Cc: 'Healeys' <healeys@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Webmail-42--9fa12710-f559-41ae-bf5c-6a4a3ca5056a

I also have three kinds of wrenches and many times discover I need somethi=
ng I don't have. I've actually had to replace all my tools and other stuff=
 because of the fire I went through, but that's another story. As to the b=
olts going in through the tappet cover, there are no nuts on those and the=
y go right into the block. I thought I had them all measured out, and the =
bolts laid out correctly for re-install, but I still ran into problems but=
 eventually got them all back in and flush.=C2=A0=0A=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0The =
reason I am using "The Right Stuff" is from two mechanics recommending it.=
 And I am laying down a bead about the size of a BB so hopefully if I ever=
 have to remove the tappet cover, I'll have a reasonable chance of complet=
ing the task. I would not use "The RS" on my oil pan, nor would I use it o=
n a rocker cover. Gaskets there with heat capable silicone on one side and=
 oil on the other works for me.=0A=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0Thanks for the list of=
 fasteners. That just might come in handy. Appreciate it.=0A=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0I thought I was just going to be able to hone my cylinders, put the new=
 rings back on the pistons and move on, but alas, after some measuring and=
 calculations from someone who actually knows what they are doing, it was =
discovered my engine was actually producing over 11 to 1 compression! Now =
if I could get 100 plus octane anywhere I go, I might be happy with that. =
But with the fact that this engine would run on when shut off, and not wan=
ting to constantly add octane booster with each tank of gas, I decided to =
get new pistons and bring the compression down to a reasonable amount.=C2=A0=
=0A=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0I'm learning as I go, making some mistakes here and t=
here, learning constantly, but figuring I can do this. I've got the time a=
nd the curiosity, mix that with some basic knowledge, I'm moving forward. =
Stay tuned as the engine will be out soon and off to the machine shop to g=
et bored and honed to spec. Then the re-assemble shall commence, followed =
by the installation back into my car, followed closely by the first attemp=
t at actually starting it up again! Scary, but hey, why not?!=0ASteven Kin=
gsbury=C2=A0=0A=0AOn May 31, 2020 at 11:25 AM, gradea1@charter.net wrote:=0A=
=0A=0ASoon after I owned a Healey 100, I equipped my tool box with three k=
inds of wrenches: normal SAE, Metric and BS/Whitworth.=C2=A0 This combinat=
ion will handle any size nut or bolt on the car (oops, I also needed a set=
 of BA wrenches for the small stuff).=0A=0A=0ASo, with all this talk of wh=
at fastener-British or American (Unified)?...I went to the Austin Service =
Journal Volume 25 and have included this info which may help you in fittin=
g nuts and bolts to your 100. If you use the Austin Parts List manual (#10=
50) you will note that the BSF nuts and bolts and studs all have a part nu=
mber starting with 2K...for instance front engine support bolts 2K5946 and=
 nuts 2K3977. These are BSF fasteners. When the agreed change was made to =
unified (about Sept.1954 they started using them, after first using up all=
 they had of British items), the part numbers became something like HBZ051=
2.=C2=A0 These are Unified Fasteners.=C2=A0 I copied about 5 pages from th=
is volume-attached FYI- but you can find this whole volume 25 published on=
 the internet.=0A=0A=0AYou will note that the letters describe the size, l=
ength, thread pitch and type of material its made of so you can replace th=
e parts with the exact same item. If you=C2=A0 thread a nut onto the bolt,=
 and it only goes on about three threads, you probably have mixed UNF with=
 BSF. Better check the charts and parts book!=0AHank, healeyhelper.com=0A=0A=
=0A=0A=0A=0A-----------------------------------------=0A=0AFrom: "Steven K=
ingsbury via Healeys"=0ATo: "rrengineer.mike@att.net"=0ACc: "Healeys"=0ASe=
nt: Sunday May 31 2020 8:54:04AM=0ASubject: Re: [Healeys] Sealants=0A=0A=0A=
When I put my tappet cover back on, I'm going to use "The Right Stuff" and=
 no gasket. A simple bead all around the cover, making sure to go around t=
he holes for the bolts with a touch of red lock tite on the threads. Also,=
 make sure you pre-install every bolt as they are different depths in the =
receiving holes. I thought I had it right, but then I had to move a few ar=
ound to get them to go in the correct amount.=C2=A0=0A=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0I =
have to do it again, (long story), but this time the engine will be out, I=
 will take my time and I am now fore armed with the information. Best of l=
uck!=C2=A0=0ASteven Kingsbury=0ABN1 on the way to recovery.=0A=0AOn May 31=
, 2020 at 2:01 AM, Michael MacLean <rrengineer.mike@att.net> wrote:=0A=0A=0A=
Finally got the Denis Welch tappets today after almost an entire month.=C2=
=A0 Woohoo.=C2=A0 Now comes the part where I button up this side of the en=
gine.=C2=A0 Where are the most leaks on this side of the engine?=C2=A0 Wha=
t should I use on the gasket for the tappet cover to seal it?=C2=A0 How ab=
out the angle drive?=C2=A0 Seal that or just crank it down OK?=C2=A0 Once =
this engine is together I would like to not have to take it apart again fo=
r leaks.=0AMike MacLean=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ASent from AT&T Yahoo Mail o=
n Android=0A_______________________________________________=0ASupport Team=
.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html=0ASuggested annual donation $12.75=0A=
=0AArchive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/ar=
aleys/airtightproductions@icloud.com=0A=0A
--Apple-Webmail-42--9fa12710-f559-41ae-bf5c-6a4a3ca5056a
    charset=utf-8;

need so=
mething I don't have. I've actually had to replace all my tools and other =
stuff because of the fire I went through, but that's another story. As to =
the bolts going in through the tappet cover, there are no nuts on those an=
d they go right into the block. I thought I had them all measured out, and=
 the bolts laid out correctly for re-install, but I still ran into problem=
s but eventually got them all back in and flush.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;The reason I am using "The Right Stuff" is from two mechanics rec=
ommending it. And I am laying down a bead about the size of a BB so hopefu=
lly if I ever have to remove the tappet cover, I'll have a reasonable chan=
ce of completing the task. I would not use "The RS" on my oil pan, nor wou=
ld I use it on a rocker cover. Gaskets there with heat capable silicone on=
 one side and oil on the other works for me.</div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T=
hanks for the list of fasteners. That just might come in handy. Appreciate=
 it.</div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I thought I was just going to be able to =
hone my cylinders, put the new rings back on the pistons and move on, but =
alas, after some measuring and calculations from someone who actually know=
s what they are doing, it was discovered my engine was actually producing =
over 11 to 1 compression! Now if I could get 100 plus octane anywhere I go=
, I might be happy with that. But with the fact that this engine would run=
 on when shut off, and not wanting to constantly add octane booster with e=
ach tank of gas, I decided to get new pistons and bring the compression do=
wn to a reasonable amount.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm learning =
as I go, making some mistakes here and there, learning constantly, but fig=
uring I can do this. I've got the time and the curiosity, mix that with so=
me basic knowledge, I'm moving forward. Stay tuned as the engine will be o=
ut soon and off to the machine shop to get bored and honed to spec. Then t=
he re-assemble shall commence, followed by the installation back into my c=
ar, followed closely by the first attempt at actually starting it up again=
ealey 100, I equipped my tool box with three kinds of wrenches: normal SAE=
, Metric and BS/Whitworth.&nbsp; This combination will handle any size nut=
 or bolt on the car (oops, I also needed a set of BA wrenches for the smal=
sh or American (Unified)?...I went to the Austin Service Journal Volume 25=
 and have included this info which may help you in fitting nuts and bolts =
to your 100. If you use the Austin Parts List manual (#1050) you will note=
 that the BSF nuts and bolts and studs all have a part number starting wit=
h 2K...for instance front engine support bolts 2K5946 and nuts 2K3977. The=
se are BSF fasteners. When the agreed change was made to unified (about Se=
pt.1954 they started using them, after first using up all they had of Brit=
ish items), the part numbers became something like HBZ0512.&nbsp; These ar=
e Unified Fasteners.&nbsp; I copied about 5 pages from this volume-attache=
d FYI- but you can find this whole volume 25 published on the internet.</d=
ength, thread pitch and type of material its made of so you can replace th=
e parts with the exact same item. If you&nbsp; thread a nut onto the bolt,=
 and it only goes on about three threads, you probably have mixed UNF with=
 BSF. Better check the charts and parts book!</div><div>Hank, <a href=3D"h=
ttp://healeyhelper.com" data-mce-href=3D"http://healeyhelper.com";>healeyhe=
-----------------------------------</p>From: "Steven Kingsbury via Healeys=
 my tappet cover back on, I'm going to use "The Right Stuff" and no gasket=
. A simple bead all around the cover, making sure to go around the holes f=
or the bolts with a touch of red lock tite on the threads. Also, make sure=
 you pre-install every bolt as they are different depths in the receiving =
holes. I thought I had it right, but then I had to move a few around to ge=
t them to go in the correct amount.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I ha=
ve to do it again, (long story), but this time the engine will be out, I w=
ill take my time and I am now fore armed with the information. Best of luc=
/div><div><br>On May 31, 2020 at 2:01 AM, Michael MacLean &lt;rrengineer.m=
ass=3D"msg-quote">Finally got the Denis Welch tappets today after almost a=
n entire month.&nbsp; Woohoo.&nbsp; Now comes the part where I button up t=
his side of the engine.&nbsp; Where are the most leaks on this side of the=
 engine?&nbsp; What should I use on the gasket for the tappet cover to sea=
l it?&nbsp; How about the angle drive?&nbsp; Seal that or just crank it do=
wn OK?&nbsp; Once this engine is together I would like to not have to take=
 it apart again for leaks.<div id=3D"yMail_cursorElementTracker_1590898312=
612">Mike MacLean<div class=3D"yahoo-compose-assist-image-card ymail-andro=
sorElementTracker_1590898262089"><br><div id=3D"ymail_android_signature"><=
a id=3D"ymail_android_signature_link" href=3D"https://go.onelink.me/107872=
968?pid=3DInProduct&amp;c=3DGlobal_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__Andro=
idUsers&amp;af_wl=3Dym&amp;af_sub1=3DInternal&amp;af_sub2=3DGlobal_YGrowth=
&amp;af_sub3=3DEmailSignature" data-mce-href=3D"https://go.onelink.me/1078=
72968?pid=3DInProduct&amp;c=3DGlobal_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__And=
roidUsers&amp;af_wl=3Dym&amp;af_sub1=3DInternal&amp;af_sub2=3DGlobal_YGrow=
th&amp;af_sub3=3DEmailSignature">Sent from AT&amp;T Yahoo Mail on Android<=
ent">_______________________________________________<br>Support <a href=3D=
"http://Team.Net"; data-mce-href=3D"http://Team.Net";>Team.Net</a> <a href=3D=
"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/don=
ate.html"></a><a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; data-mce-href=3D=
"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>S=
uggested annual donation $12.75<br><br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team=
.net/pipermail/healeys" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/hea=
leys"></a><a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; data-mce-href=3D=
"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/heal=
eys</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; data-mce-href=3D"http://=
autox.team.net/archive"></a><a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; data=
-mce-href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive<=
/a><br><br><a href=3D"mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net"; data-mce-href=3D"mail=
to:Healeys@autox.team.net">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br><a href=3D"http:/=
ubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/=
airtightproductions@icloud.com" data-mce-href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mai=
lman/options/healeys/airtightproductions@icloud.com"></a><a href=3D"http:/=
/autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/airtightproductions@icloud.com" da=
ta-mce-href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/airtightprodu=
ctions@icloud.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/airtightp=
--Apple-Webmail-42--9fa12710-f559-41ae-bf5c-6a4a3ca5056a--

--===============3007918704338908351==