Re: [Healeys] Leaking something? 63 BJ7

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaking something? 63 BJ7
From: Michael Salter via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 17:12:37 -0500
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--0000000000004b08a705b47d0783

If it only leaks when the engine is running then the most likely source is
the cooling system. You need to collect a sample and see if it mixes with
water. Fuel and oil won't, coolant will.

On Thu., Nov. 19, 2020, 4:52 p.m. Bob Spidell, <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Did you check the level of your steering box lube?
>
> On 11/19/2020 1:15 PM, Leonard Berkowitz wrote:
>
> Took the Healey out this afternoon for a drive.  Noticed something
> leaking.  First thought was the radiator overflow.  Nope!  Checked the
> radiator, the hoses and the pump which all looked good and there was no
> "hissing" or steam from any cooling system parts.  Whatever is leaking was
> a watery black liquid (definitely not antifreeze) coming from the underside
> of the steering box.  What makes no sense is that it only starts to leak
> with the engine running.  It appears to be a fairly constant flow and
> fairly rapid but stops as soon as the engine is shut down.   It is coming
> from the bottom front of the steering box not from the steering arm where
> it leaves the box.  Whatever is leaking only feel a little oily but is very
> watery and black.   I don't have power steering so there isn't any increase
> in pressure with the engine running, plus it doesn't look or feel like
> power steering fluid.  I have run out of ideas.  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Len

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--0000000000004b08a705b47d0783

 likely source is the cooling system. You need to collect a sample and see =
if it mixes with water. Fuel and oil won&#39;t, coolant will.<div dir=3D"au=
b Spidell, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>bspidell@comcast.net=
0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    Did you check the level of your steering box lube?<br>
      Berkowitz wrote:<br>
     =20
     =20
;color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        Took the Healey out this afternoon for a drive.=C2=A0 Noticed
        something leaking.=C2=A0 First thought was the radiator overflow.=
=C2=A0
        Nope!=C2=A0 Checked the radiator, the hoses and the pump which all
        looked good and there was no &quot;hissing&quot; or steam from any =
cooling
        system parts.=C2=A0 Whatever is leaking was a watery black liquid
        (definitely not antifreeze) coming from the underside of the
        steering box.=C2=A0 What makes no sense is that it only starts to
        leak with the engine running.=C2=A0 It appears to be a fairly
        constant flow and fairly rapid but stops as soon as the engine
        is shut down.=C2=A0 =C2=A0It is coming from the bottom front of the
        steering box not from the steering arm where it leaves the box.=C2=
=A0
        Whatever is leaking only feel a little oily but is very watery
        and black.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I don&#39;t have power steering so there isn=
&#39;t any
        increase in pressure with the engine running, plus it doesn&#39;t
        look or feel like power steering fluid.=C2=A0 I have run out of
        ideas.=C2=A0 Any suggestions would be appreciated.</div>
;color:rgb(0,0,0)">
;color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        Thanks=C2=A0in advance</div>
;color:rgb(0,0,0)">