Re: [Healeys] OD queries

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] OD queries
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 19:03:05 -0700

--------------0UGWckLYvHsg7WZ1f4aseR0M

IIRC, last time I swapped an O/D solenoid I took the 'gaiter' off; with
an enclosure I don't see the need and I don't want it hanging up the
plunger (I guess just oil pressure holds the lever down?). My previous
solenoid, which I believe was OEM didn't have one.

On 4/5/2022 5:14 AM, Simon Lachlan via Healeys wrote:

> I should be receiving a â??Dial Gaugeâ?? or â??Dial Indicatorâ?? through the
> post today. Shouldâ?¦.
>
> I hope to use it to set the lift in my ODâ??s operating valve.
>
> See pic, attached.
>
> Now��
>
>  1. I always see reference to adjusting how much the ball lifts by
>     putting the gaugeâ??s probe(?) onto the ball itself. Fair enough in
>     operating terms but can one not adjust by how much the rod lifts?
>     ie remove the spring plunger and ball. The rod has a flat top
>     surface after all��.
>  2. My previous solenoid was absolutely fried and I bought a
>     replacement. It came with a little rubber gaiter or boot which
>     fits over the plunger and goes into the little case where the
>     solenoidâ??s plunger is attached to the lever. Iâ??d never seen one of
>     these before although I note that itâ??s shown in the Parts Book.
>     Whatâ??s the purpose of this thing? It seems redundant to me. I seem
>     to recall that not all cars with ODs had the lever & plunger
>     enclosed. Maybe it was for themâ?¦? To me, at least, it seems to be
>     superfluous, even slightly creating a certain stickiness in the
>     up/down transit. But, there it is, in the Parts Book. Should I fit
>     it??
>  3. Iâ??ve seen reference to adjusting the leverâ??s â??dropâ??. This is
>     presumably done with the little nut that sits under where the
>     plunger is grabbed by the lever. There doesnâ??t look to be much
>     spare up and down latitude available for this adjustment and,
>     furthermore, I note that the nut is not shown in the Parts Book
>     which only has a little rubber bung/stop.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

--------------0UGWckLYvHsg7WZ1f4aseR0M

  <head>
  </head>
    IIRC, last time I swapped an O/D solenoid I took the 'gaiter' off;
    with an enclosure I don't see the need and I don't want it hanging
    up the plunger (I guess just oil pressure holds the lever down?). My
    previous solenoid, which I believe was OEM didn't have one.<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000001d848e6$bca30d70$35e92850$@alexarevel.plus.com">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#0563C1;
        text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}p.MsoListParagraph, li.MsoListParagraph,
div.MsoListParagraph
        {mso-style-priority:34;
        margin-top:0cm;
        margin-right:0cm;
        margin-bottom:0cm;
        margin-left:36.0pt;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}span.EmailStyle17
        {mso-style-type:personal-compose;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}ol
        {margin-bottom:0cm;}ul
        {margin-bottom:0cm;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          â??Dial Indicatorâ?? through the post today. Shouldâ?¦.<o:p></o:p></p>
          operating valve.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <ol style="margin-top:0cm" type="1" start="1">
          <li class="MsoListParagraph"
            style="margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1">I always see
            reference to adjusting how much the ball lifts by putting
            the gaugeâ??s probe(?) onto the ball itself. Fair enough in
            operating terms but can one not adjust by how much the rod
            lifts? ie remove the spring plunger and ball. The rod has a
            flat top surface after all��.<o:p></o:p></li>
          <li class="MsoListParagraph"
            style="margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1">My previous
            solenoid was absolutely fried and I bought a replacement. It
            came with a little rubber gaiter or boot which fits over the
            plunger and goes into the little case where the solenoidâ??s
            plunger is attached to the lever. Iâ??d never seen one of
            these before although I note that itâ??s shown in the Parts
            Book. Whatâ??s the purpose of this thing? It seems redundant
            to me. I seem to recall that not all cars with ODs had the
            lever &amp; plunger enclosed. Maybe it was for themâ?¦? To me,
            at least, it seems to be superfluous, even slightly creating
            a certain stickiness in the up/down transit. But, there it
            is, in the Parts Book. Should I fit it??<o:p></o:p></li>
          <li class="MsoListParagraph"
            style="margin-left:0cm;mso-list:l0 level1 lfo1">Iâ??ve seen
            reference to adjusting the leverâ??s â??dropâ??. This is
            presumably done with the little nut that sits under where
            the plunger is grabbed by the lever. There doesnâ??t look to
            be much spare up and down latitude available for this
            adjustment and, furthermore, I note that the nut is not
            shown in the Parts Book which only has a little rubber
            bung/stop. <o:p></o:p></li>
        </ol>

--------------0UGWckLYvHsg7WZ1f4aseR0M--

--===============0123749867561867593==