Re: [Healeys] Steering Gear Adjustment

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Gear Adjustment
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 21:51:27 -0700

--------------E0NXRJ3uLZOOxafS0OZPNw7C

I presume you're trying to take some of the slack out of the wheel? I
just tighten the pin down snug, back it off a little then drive the car.
If the adjustment pin is too tight it won't return to center; loosen it
until it does and then a tad more just to be 'safe.'

On 10/28/2023 12:07 PM, Michael Salter wrote:
> I've never found a need to disconnect the rod ends. Jack stands on the
> outer ends of the lower A arms will keep the loads off the steering
> system sufficiently.

> On Sat., Oct. 28, 2023, 2:36 p.m. Harold Manifold,
> <manifold@telus.net> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I need to make an adjustment to the steering gear. I read the
>     procedure in manual and it says to disconnect the side rod from
>     the steering arm. Can the same thing be achieved by lifting the
>     tires and not disconnecting the side rod?
>     Any tips on adjusting the steering gear are appreciated.
>
>     Harold

--------------E0NXRJ3uLZOOxafS0OZPNw7C

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
    I presume you're trying to take some of the slack out of the wheel?
    I just tighten the pin down snug, back it off a little then drive
    the car. If the adjustment pin is too tight it won't return to
    center; loosen it until it does and then a tad more just to be
    'safe.'<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LJ93+2fB+WKyp6aaWcUkSK3y8+=frhP2iok_Od13spyDw@mail.gmail.com">
        ends. Jack stands on the outer ends of the lower A arms will
        keep the loads off the steering system sufficiently.
          p.m. Harold Manifold, &lt;<a href="mailto:manifold@telus.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">manifold@telus.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              read the procedure in manual and it says to disconnect the
              side rod from the steering arm. Can the same thing be
              achieved by lifting the tires and not disconnecting the
              side rod?</div>
              appreciated.</div>

--------------E0NXRJ3uLZOOxafS0OZPNw7C--

--===============6682095727728700417==