Re: [Healeys] Steering Box removal - notes

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Box removal - notes
From: Donald Tate <bn2cars@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 08:48:42 -0500
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-DF6F7761-3227-4981-8BC8-6517F3D51C70
        charset=utf-8

Mine were installed inwards and they came out to my surprise. I did remove t=
he pitman arm. =20
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 25, 2024, at 9:46=E2=80=AFPM, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wr=
ote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF "If the mounting bolt heads are pointed inward towards the radia=
tor, the radiator will have to come out."
>=20
> This is why I mentioned I might be willing to sacrifice these bolts, using=
 a cutoff wheel or sawzall; assuming, of course, they aren't unobtanium. I'v=
e always wondered why they were installed bolt head next to radiator except,=
 of course, it doesn't much matter before the rad gets installed.
>=20
> Thanks for the info, Steve.
>=20
> Bob
>=20
>=20
> On 1/25/2024 4:47 PM, Steve Gerow wrote:
>> I had mine out several times a couple of years ago.
>>=20
>> I can see you might be able to do it without removing the grille - IF the=
 radiator and engine were out.
>>=20
>> I removed the grille, but not the upper or lower surrounds. If the mounti=
ng bolt heads are pointed inward towards the radiator, the radiator will hav=
e to come out.
>>=20
>> If you're lucky, the bolt heads will be in the fender well - if that's th=
e case you can pull the box without removing the radiator. You'll need to ro=
tate the box some, per Bentley, to get the pittman arm through the grille op=
ening.
>>=20
>> Needless to say, when you install the new box, make sure to insert the mo=
unting bolts from the fender well side.
>>=20
>> The "Steering Column Sealing Plate" (with the big rubber grommet at the f=
irewall) is not symmetrical. Mark which side is up, as you'll need to loosel=
y install it next to the firewall and push the steering column through it. I=
 was not able to rotate it with the column in place - at first I had it alig=
ned incorrectly.
>>=20
>> --
>> Steve Gerow
>> Altadena CA
>> '59 BN6
>>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bn2cars@=
gmail.com
>=20

--Apple-Mail-DF6F7761-3227-4981-8BC8-6517F3D51C70
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Mine were installed inwards and they came o=
ut to my surprise. I did remove the pitman arm. &nbsp;<br id=3D"lineBreakAtB=
eginningOfSignature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Sent from my iPhone</div><div dir=3D"l=
tr"><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Jan 25, 2024, at 9:46=E2=80=AFPM, Bob S=
uote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF

 =20

 =20
 =20
    "If the mounting bolt heads are pointed inward towards the radiator,
    the radiator will have to come out."<br>
    This is why I mentioned I might be willing to sacrifice these bolts,
    using a cutoff wheel or sawzall; assuming, of course, they aren't
    unobtanium. I've always wondered why they were installed bolt head
    next to radiator except, of course, it doesn't much matter before
    the rad gets installed.<br>
    Thanks for the info, Steve.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
r-kOF4eYzwfvOrnMw@mail.gmail.com">
8">
          grille - IF the radiator and engine were out.</div>
          If the mounting bolt heads are pointed inward towards the
          radiator, the radiator will have to come out.</div>
          - if that's the case you can pull the box without removing the
          radiator. You'll need to rotate the box some, per Bentley, to
          get the pittman arm through the grille opening.</div>
          insert the mounting bolts from the fender well side.</div>
          grommet at the firewall) is not symmetrical. Mark which side
          is up, as you'll need to loosely install it next to the
          firewall and push the steering column through it. I was not
          able to rotate it with the column in place - at first I had it
          aligned incorrectly.<br>
_signature">
 =20

am.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</span><br><sp=
anage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/bn2cars@gmail.com</span=

--Apple-Mail-DF6F7761-3227-4981-8BC8-6517F3D51C70--

--===============6735357020901883579==