Constant duty solenoids..

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Constant duty solenoids..
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:57:52 -0800
There are most likely tons of folks who could explain it better but here is
my understanding and my reasoning...

The Barry Grant Fuel pump has the ability to pull 25 amps on start up.. and
he recommends you use a Constant duty solenoid which looks just like a ford
solenoid except that it takes a 5 amp circuit to start it or turn it on and
then rather then releasing it stays on with minimal amperage draw.... this
is the best way to give a high drawing system power according to several
sources I have....

The wiring issue is really about not being able to find squat this other
guy did to the car before I bought it... he had used a single color and no
labels.. The wiring harness really isn't a harness at all it is simply a
supply of quality wires that are color coded and the give you a basis to
start the system... they don't have anything else.. some cute wire ties..
and so on.. this thing is a $50 dollar option from AUTO ROD... not Rod
ware.. my mistake... it is just a place to start.. you sould see my mess
that I made of the shop floor with the old junk...

Basically I wasn't liking the fact that I had to tap the gages to make them
work and the switches were nothing but the finest Wal-Mart quality....Yeah
it was time to do something permanent... All of the systems I am putting on
the car are long term systems that I am going to use to build the Healey..
but for now I am learning my happy butt off....

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )

----------
> From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
> To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
> Subject: Re: Hot rods
> Date: Sunday, March 14, 1999 7:35 PM
>
> Keith,
>
>   It's been miserable and raining here, but I got the new fan on and the
> experimental master cylinder and new lines installed.
>
>   You bought a ready made wiring harness?  Shame, shame!  That's half the
> fun of building a car yourself.  I have a whole manual that I wrote
during
> the construction of my car.  If I hadn't, no one...including me, could
ever
> work on it.  If I had it all to do over again the entire wiring harness
> would probably be one color (Black) with wire tags at each end.  It works
in
> aircraft and military vehicles, and lots of NASCAR teams are going the
> milspec route because of a lack of quality vibration resistant wire in
the
> commercial market.  Since the RX7 will have only a handful of wires I'll
> probably do it with the really good stuff.
>
>   What's with the constant duty solenoids?  How much current does your
fuel
> pump draw anyway?  It takes current to energize those solenoids and keep
> their contacts closed.  Sounds like more headache than it's worth.  I
shoot
> for absolute simplicity in a wiring harness, and would just run a heavier
> gage wire to a component like a fuel pump instead of a solenoid.  That
> eliminates a minimum of three connections and a set of contacts in the
> solenoid that could all fail and be an electrical nightmare.  I had
written
> you another note on charging systems earlier, so I'll send it along
tonite.

>   Gotto get some sleep, it's a regular Monday tomorrow.  My first since
the
> beginning of February!
>
> Chuck
>

> At 08:34 PM 3/14/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >I guess we are all out working on our Hot Rods... Perfect.... Got the
motor
> >back from the Machine shop.... bolted it all together slipped the ole
dog
> >in the car and now I can't wait.. two more weeks Till our first race on
the
> >East Coast.
> >
> >Ran the damn fire bottles in 1/4" brake line.... and am done with that
> >little issue.. bought the second Battery and mounted the trays...
Decided
> >on Constant duty solenoids to run the big stuff... Just Like Barry Grant
> >recommends on that Fuel pump... and a Ford Solenoid on the starter... As
of
> >tomorrow I should be putting the wiring in the car.... Found a real
slick
> >set up from Rod Ware for a wiring harness... pure race car stuff...
color

land-speed@autox.team.net