"Newbie"

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: "Newbie"
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:08:41 -0500
Greetings to all:
As another faithful reader of BRN, I learned of this listserv from the
last issue.
As an introduction:
    I have always been interested in land speed racing since I was old
enough to read about it, so I picked up a free issue of BRN at the Save
The Salt booth at the 1991 SEMA show in Las Vegas. At that time I was
into road racing. One day, just for the hell of it, I called Doc
Jeffries to find out what it took to race at Bonneville. The first thing
I learned was you needed to be able to afford a large long-distance bill
when you called Doc! Seriously, he was a great help, especially since we
were both running Corvettes at the time. Naturally he conned (or was it
convinced) me to subscribe to BRN. That was when I learned about USFRA's
130/150 clubs for street cars. I failed miserabally at my first attempt
at the 150 club in 1993, but was the first person to ever make the 150
Club in 1994. I was driving a street legal 1985 Corvette set up for road
racing.
    After a year of changes to the car, I brought it back as an LSR car
(Gold Corvette, #128). Since then, I have made practically every rookie
mistake imaginable, but still stumbled my way in to the B'Ville 200 Club
in 1997. I am trying to "bump" the C/GT record up to about 215 & then
move on to something else. Problem is, I keep breaking stuff. I am
hoping to pick up some good tips here, and maybe offer something
usefull. If you have a lot of idle time on your hands and want to read
about the whole ordeal, click on
http://vette.org/DCA/Members/EdLindaVanScoy/

Ed Van Scoy