Re: Inner Tubes and Wheels

To: "richard jurkowski" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Inner Tubes and Wheels
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:59:18 -0400
That's right Frontrunners on the rear. I'm not a tire expert and I don't
know all the scientific explanations, but they work. For many years I ran
23" frontrunners on the front and 28" NASCAR Daytona's on the rear. That was
Goodyear's recommendation, and they worked with no tire problems "0".

Last year I changed, because of body restrictions, to 21" M&H tires on the
front and 28" Frontrunners on the rear. First off the car handled better,
which may have absolutely nothing to do with the tires, as we made ballast
and chassis changes too. Traction was no worse than with the big tires. And
we were running faster than we had ever gone before. We ultimately set two
records last year with this combo.

That was the good news, because upon further inspection the 'rear'
Frontrunners were destroyed. Pulled apart near the side wall and tread, with
chunks of rubber thrown off the tread. Who knows maybe one more run and the
car may have been destroyed too. Guys, there is a reason that Goodyear makes
LSR tires and doesn't push the frontrunners. Drag tires are designed for a
1/4 mile, we run 20 times that far. It's not all speed it's also duration
and load that effects tires. I know lots of guys are running the
Frontrunners successfully. I think that if your running a light weight car
at speeds around  200 MPH you'll be OK. I exceeded the speed, duration and
probably the load as well.

This year it will be 27" Mickey Thompson's. They don't make these any more,
so eventually will have to resort back to Goodyear LSR tires. But at least
they are available.

John Beckett