Re: talkabout radios

To: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: talkabout radios
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:09:57 -0500
Howdy,
          I was using radio shack handheld cb's (5 watts) and for the most
part I was looking at about 1 1/2  miles maximum reception. It may be (the
following is a GUESS) that the damp salt underlying the signal might act as
an absorber, (like a big ground ) that the signal gets caught in. I don't
know.
         The in vehicle CB, I remember had a lot better signal distance,
but why the handhelds were not working so well, beats me....I saw some
talkabouts recently and thought that maybe they would work better, but
rather than spend carb money or clutch money on the talkabouts,  and not
have them work, I'd ask the Group first and see what they had to say.
thanks, drive careful

At 07:11 PM 5/18/00 , you wrote:
>John, I been thinking about the hand held CB's. Do you have any idea as to
>why they didn't work well on the salt? What about the in vehicle CB's? Any
>thoughts appreciated.
>
>mayf
>At 08:32 AM 5/18/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Howdy,
> >       Has anybody used the Motorola Talkabout 250 radios out at the
> Salt? I
> >have used handheld CB radios out there and they did not work very well.
> >

>L.E. Mayfield
>124 Maximillion Drive
>Madison, Al. 35758-8171
>ph: 1-256-837-1051
>
>http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemay
>
>lemay@hiwaay.net
>
>Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
>Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
>'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316