Re: Leak Down Tester

To: V4GR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Leak Down Tester
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:38:54 +0000
What you are looking for is the delta between the two gauges. Setting the first
gauge at 100 psi allows you to simply read the second gauge as a percent.
Example, If the first gauge reads 100 # and the second gauge reads 96 #, then
the leakdown is 4 %. If you only have say 80 lbs. of air from your compressor,
you will have to do some math to arrive at a percentage of loss. I have found
that a motor with gap-less rings will show 0 to 1 % leakdown if in good working
order. 4 to 6 % is not too bad. The motor needs work if you see over that. I
have tested motors with the piston in various postions in the bore looking for
scarring  or bore scratches. I have had a fuel motor on more than one occasion
show good on the leakdown but the piston was melted down around the rings.

joe