Occupation

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Occupation
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:41:02 -0800
Keith,
This is a very interesting thread that you started. Sometimes you get it
right. I may write a book,  know I can't put this in a few words, I have
lived too long!!!

I grew up a country boy on the farm in Northwest Missouri. Graduated
from Rockport High in 1947, 2 = months after my 17th Birthday. My first
job out of high school was a Mechanic's Helper, next I went with a
couple of friends to follow the wheat harvest and ended up in North
Dakota, went back and forth between Missouri and North Dakota for the
next three years doing a variety of jobs, including Dish Washer, Service
Station Attendant,  Product Receiving @ the Bottineau Creamery, and
about a year with as an Apprentice Plumber in Rugby ND.

I married Margaret, the love of my life, in May 1951, started out as a
hired hand on a farm, got fired after about a month, (the boss came by
to get me to go to work just as I was leaving for church. I told him I
would join him after church, on Monday morning he told me I didn't have
a job) This termination was one of the best things that happened could
have happened. Went to work at Interstate Machine and Supply Co. in
Omaha NE as a warehouse man, move up to the Sales Counter in a couple of
months. Went from there to Mackenzie Motors (Crosley Dealer and used
cars) as a Mechanic, after that, I worked for a month at the Munitions
Depot @  Mead, NE loading 105 shells and black powder on trucks for
shipment to Korea.

In October 1952, I left Omaha for La Habra CA to find my fortune. After
arriving, I spent a couple of weeks going from one place to another
looking for a job only to find the same answer after an interview, my
eye sight would cause me to be a danger in their employment (I'm legally
blind in my right eye, this also gave me a 4-F status in the Korean
War). I finally found employment with a small Chemical Refinery in Santa
Fe Springs CA where I started as a Utility Person, advancing to
Pumper/Gauger and then to Assistant Operator. After seven years, because
the automobile kept calling, I quit and went to work for Fullerton
Muffler doing Tune-up and Muffler work. Two years later I went to work
for White Automotive, an Independent Repair Shop in La Habra CA, as a
Tune-up Technician. I remained there until early 1968 when we moved
north to Redding and opened my own repair shop. While at White
Automotive, I also served as a Reserve Officer for the La Harba Police
Dept.

While operating Bryant Automotive for the last 32 years with my wife and
sons, I attended Shasta College, receiving my AA in Business Management
in 1984, also was a Part-time Automotive Instructor at Shasta College
for 13 years, retiring that position a couple of years ago. I still
serve as a Consultant and Expert Witness for several Attorneys in the
North State and contract with the National Center for Dispute Settlement
as an Arbitrator for Manufacturer's Warranty Disputes (Toyota &
DaimlerChrysler) in CA, OR and NV. I am also a "Shepherd", serving as an
elder for the Redding Church of Christ since 1972.

Margaret and I will celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary in May next
year. We have three sons, who live near Redding, a daughter who lives in
Bend OR, and 11 grandchildren. I feel truly blessed to have lived a life
that has given me the experiences and memories that I share with family
and friends. It just keeps getting better!

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC..