Re: Record Roadster Racer Heard From !!!

To: FastmetalBDF@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Record Roadster Racer Heard From !!!
From: gene barbee <saltrcr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:52:51 -0800 (PST)
--- FastmetalBDF@aol.com wrote:
>         Hi  Gene !  Good to see your name on some
> land speed list email ......
> Any chance of you telling us about your exploits
> with the # 357 roadster at
> Speedweek this August  ?   Those new Hilborns worked
> out pretty well, didn' t
> they ?  Sorry I didn' t get to spend more time with
> you and Alan back then
> I was kind of busy helping my boys out, and missed
> many folks, both on this
> list
> and otherwise .    I am sure you have lots of great
> tales you could relate,
> both from your lsr racing,  and all those meets you
> went to at thelong gone
> Lions Drag Strip ...... 223rd  &  Alameda ...... I
> always remember, even
> though
> it' s been forty three years since I last smelled
> nitro there .
>        What class will you be speeding in next
> season ?    Also, can you see
> RETIREMENT  looming on the horizon ? ..... it gives
> you lots more shop time !
>        Please say Hi to Alan and the ladies !
>                Bruce       on right coast

     hi bruce and list     gene barbee long time
lurker      grew up in so. cal. (compton) could hear
lions from my house. my dad wasn,t into racing but my
brother and i talked him into droping us of near lions
and have been hooked on racing ever scence. started
out with a 34 ford, then 57 vett and crosley
alterd.(all 301 powerd)    raced tell i got drafted.
alan keep racing working on a top fuel car tell he got
drafted. was out of racing for 20 years tell alan went
to bonneville in 1985. we went back as crew and
spectators tell we bought our car in 94(#357 str/r) we
ran it with "d" moters tell this year. set records at
el mirage, muroc, and bonneville. with a best run of
194 mph. we wanted to go 200 and didn,t think a "d"
would do it. wanted to build a "c" motor but found a
"b" complete. now comes the best bonneville ever, we
made 4 runs set 2 records and got both alan and myself
in the two club. we are the luckest guys ever.
about myself. 57, married, 2 grown girls and 29.5
years as a firemen in costa meas, ca. with 6 mounth
tell retirement. i read the list at work and enjoy it
very much,   gene -b (someone let me know if this goes
through)

http://shopping.yahoo.com/