Re: Dry Sump / Push Truck

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dry Sump / Push Truck
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:17:08 EST
In a message dated 12/10/2000 1:19:14 AM Pacific Standard Time, kturk@ala.net
writes:

<<
 Well I have been collecting Dry sump parts at Muscle Motorsports here for
 the last couple of months... Currently I have the Oil Pan and lines and I
 just went and picked up the Oil Tank ... for $165 I got a 3 1/2 gallon tank
 with Three heaters in the bottom and Two heater Blankets on the outside...

 My Question is ... how do you folks go about Prep'ing the car to go out to
 the line... do I heat it in the pits with a Generator? or do I attach it to
 the Push Truck? ... I read in Rick's Two club deal about doing it at the
 line..

 We had some Battery Problems at Maxton at the Last meet.. .. This was a
 First for us...  I always charge them before I go and because I have Dual
 Battery's it has never been an issue.... but I was thinking of starting the
 car off of the Push truck from now on....( very embarressing to have to Jump
 the car off to get it running ) ( not as bad when it goes Two Bills after
 you get it running!!!)   Anyway I was thinking the Heaters would put a Large
 drain on the Batteries if we used them for it....

 What are your thoughts?
 Keith

Keith,
    I always thought that the heaters were 120v AC. At 200-300 watts each
they would drain a battery in short order.
    I have a single AC unit in the oil pan and hook it to the small Kawai
generator or the RV Onan generator first thing every morning at the races. In
about an hour it has the oil in the pan over 100 deg.
    After the oil gets warm I occasionally turn the engine over for long
enough to raise the oil pressure and circulate things.
    In line, a small generator could keep things warm until you're ready to
fire-up and make a pass...........Ardun Doug