Re: Ron Halls Avanti -and Bill Burke

To: Doug Anderson <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ron Halls Avanti -and Bill Burke
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:21:36 -0800
Group,
I will take you back a bit further in history of the Avanti. In 1961 &
'62, during my tenure as president of the SCTA, we did some timing for
the Granitelli Bros. during their promotion of the Paxton Superchargers.
They were attempting to get Chrysler to use their Supercharger as a
production option. After a couple of sessions timing Andy's Chrysler at
the Palm Springs airport and Riverside Raceway,(Andy also ran this "300"
at Bonneville), we went to Jean Nevada, just south of Las Vegas on the
old highway, and timed their '62 Plymouth. As I remember it ran about
182 MPH.

We returned later in the year and did a pre-introduction publicity thing
for Andy and Studebaker on the Avanti. The stock Avanti ran in the low
170's on the same highway at Jean Nevada. I'm proud to say that I was
among the first to see the Avanti unveiled, and was certainly impressed.
It was quite a leap forward in car design and performance as well. I
still love these cars.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC