RE: Truth or ??

To: "'Dick J'" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: RE: Truth or ??
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:50:16 -0700
I thought Darrell Waltrip said that was how Meteor Crater was formed.  He's
surely never been known to stretch the truth ...

Ya'll have a good weekend!

Dale C.  :)

Subject: Truth or ??

The following was sent to me as "supposed true
story" on my other e-mail.  I want a genuine
rocket scientists opinion.  Trught or ????

> -Idiot Story-
>
> The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of
smoldering metal embedded
> into the side of a cliff rising above the road
at the apex of a curve.
> The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane
crash, but it was a car.
> The type of car was unidentifiable at the
scene.

> The lab finally figured out what it was and
what had happened. It seems
> that a guy had somehow gotten hold of a JATO
unit (Jet Assisted Take Off
> - actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to
give heavy military
> transport planes and an extra "push" for taking
off from short
> airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out
into the desert and found
> a long, straight stretch of road. Then he
attached the JATO unit to his
> car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off
the JATO!

> The facts as best as could be determined are
that the operator of the
> 1967 Impala hit the JATO ignition at a distance
of approximately 3.0
> miles from the crash site. This was determined
by the prominent scorched
> and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO,
if operating properly,
> would have reached maximum thrust within 5
seconds, causing the Chevy to
> reach speeds well in excess of 350 miles per
hour and continuing full
> power for an additional 20-25 seconds. The
driver, soon to be pilot,
> most likely would have experienced G-forces
usually reserved for
> dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full
afterburners, basically causing him
> to become insignificant for the remainder of
the event.

> However, the automobile remained on the
straight highway for about 2.5
> miles (15-20) seconds before the driver applied
and completely melted
> the brakes, blowing the tires and leaving thick
rubber marks on the road
> surface, then becoming airborne for an
additional 1.4 miles and
> impacting the cliff face at a height of 125
feet leaving a blackened
> crater 3 feet deep in the rock.
>
> Most of the driver's remains were not
recoverable; however, small
> fragments of bone, teeth and hair were
extracted from the crater and
> fingernail and bone shards were removed from a
piece of debris
> believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

=====
Dick J

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..