RE: Traction & Slipage

To: "'john backus'" <34ford@msn.com>,
Subject: RE: Traction & Slipage
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:35:17 -0600
John;

The problem isn't in the fact that they're "digital"-- it's the fundamental
design of the tach electronics & readout mechanism. Most tachs (analog or
digital) are designed with so much low- pass filtering (smoothing) that they
can't follow fast engine RPM changes very well. I suspect this is done to
make the display look more steady to the average driver. There is one
limitation that affects some digital systems-- a fundamental limit imposed
by sampling speed-- its Nyquist limit. There is no good reason to be limited
by this these days. Even very high resolution ADCs and DACs can be obtained
that have sampling rates approaching 100MHz. They can respond to RPM signals
as fast as 20 billionths of a second. I had an '85 'Vette and I agree with
you regarding its video game display instrumentation-- flashy- looking but
poor response.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ