Re: Wind tunnel

To: "landspeedracer" <landspeedracer@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Wind tunnel
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:29:34 -0500
I have been keeping close contact with my friend that operates the wind
tunnel in Mooresville, NC. It is a 40-50% scale rolling bed tunnel. I know
they have done a lot of different test on it since opening last year. Mostly
Nascar stuff, sports cars, top fuel dragsters, and  even the U S bobsled for
the Olympics. One neat thing I haven't had a chance to see yet is the
replacement of the old smoke test. They are now using a nitrogen bubble
atmosphere to create a 3D image of the airflow. The deal is usually a
package deal with them doing a 3D laser scan of the car and making a carbon
fiber model plus furnishing you with an operator engineer. Whose only
purpose is to assist in model setup, and operations and data gathering of
the tunnel. Its up to you as to how your data is analyzed. A 5 day running
time package ain't cheap some where in the neighborhood of $100,000 about
$1100/hour. And guess what they own the model. You only rent it from them.
Last time I was there they had a computer setup that was running a program
that did show different down forces at various locations on the car. Another
neat item in the program was computed horsepower requirements derived from
the rolling bed and Cd load on the car according to speed. I am going to try
to get a copy of one of the top fuel runs as it would relate closely to a
lakester, and If I can get it posted somewhere. You should see how much data
can actually be gather in just one run in the tunnel. Might be able to
arrange a small group tour of the place if anyone is interested. For the
average racer a wind tunnel is way to much overkill and too costly. But lots
of ground can be made from the data if cost is no object.

Bill