Re: Book Reviews

To: Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>, Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: Book Reviews
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:27:59 -0800
on 1/12/03 5:52 PM, Russel Mack at rtmack@concentric.net wrote:

> Hard topic, Keith.

I'm looking forward to a return visit to the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum
in Auburn, Indiana this May.  The whole building and contents are a great
centerfold subject.  There's a lot of great books and videos in the gift
shop too.

Did you also read "The Crossing" and "Cities of the Plain" by McCarthy?
Certainly seems to be a more realistic view of the old west than Max Brand
portrayed. I read every Max Brand book in the Fort Ord library while I was
stationed there.

>I read about "how to design stuff" and "how to fix stuff" all the time, but
>none of these are great books.

Maybe you would enjoy this one ... "The Discoverers" by Boorstin is a
fascinating window into many of the most important discoveries/inventions.
A who made things work and how/why with profiles of the actual people who
did the work.  Make sure you have plenty of time to read it.  It's not a
fast read and you want to ponder the implications of many of the
discoveries.

Wes