Aerodynamics Vs. time slips

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aerodynamics Vs. time slips
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:51:12 -0800
What Howard doesn't claim (or modestly doesn't bring up) is something I feel
needs to be mentioned here.  And ... it ain't braggin' if ya done it!

Howard and Bryan, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the
Nafzger/Savage streamliner made something like 43 passes using the same
engine AND WENT FASTER WITH EACH SUCCEEDING RUN.

That's the most impressive detail I remember about the car, other than the
fact that it went so fast on such a small displacement engine.  When the
engine finally blew, Howard was devastated and Bryan was consoling him with
comments like "Where else could we have had so much fun for that amount of
money?"

The video shot from inside the car is still a favorite of mine. It shows the
fluctuations on the body panels as the speed increases and air pressures
change on the body.  There's also the changing sounds inside the car as
vibrations intensify when the speed increases.  Simply the next best thing
to actually replacing Howard with you.

Wes