Re: data recorder

To: Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: data recorder
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 06:43:49 -0500
I have to ask what bad data did the edelbrock unit give you? You may have not
believed it or thought it wrong but was the data wrong. NOt necessarily as an
absolute number but as a trend or indication that something was wrong?

I can state categorically that info from the driver in 99% of the time is
useless .. Most of the time the best you can hope for from a driver is what gear
they thought they were in and possible an rpm reading that has been 'filtered '
by the driver. I.E. if they were over red line they will have been right at it.
If it was an exit speed add 200 rpm etc.. Same goes for throttle position.. I
have seen a lot of half throttle runs and ones with the boost turned down..
Throttle position will tell you more about how the run went than almost any
other sensor input I have seen as a driver will unconsciously peddle the car if
they are feeling insecure about the handling or anything else in the run. Don't
even bother asking about water temp or oil pressure because the best you will
get is ok or fine unless the car is either blown up or steam rolling out of the
hood then it would have happened suddenly in the last mile and they shut it
right down. LOL... There are very few data recorders that will report this type
of info inccorectly.

Dave