Re: rear steer--

To: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear steer--
From: Sparky <wmtsmith@landracing.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:01:21 -0500
I know the speeds are dramatically different---but when you are steering a
sailboat with a tiller you learn to pull the rear where you need it to
be---when you use the  wheel on the same boat you remember that you have to
drive the bow---the boat does not know the difference---sparky

> From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
> Date: 2003/09/29 Mon PM 12:10:37 CDT
> To: land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: rear steer
>
> the figures for the dymaxion car were not tested numbers,they were, to the
> best of the my readings on the car, "best guess and advertising numbers", I
> thought the top speed somebody wrote about was 90+/- . somewhere I saw a
> film clip of the dymaxion doing circles around a cop, driver not more than
> 4 feet from cops face as they circled ....but he sat ahead of the front
> axle and I think that makes it a lot easier to intuitively steer the RS
> vehicle....and given the obvious aero advantages the dymaxion had over a
> '33 Ford, I think the car should have gone 120.....seems I remember there
> are still a couple of those in existence, one with over 100,000
> miles......http://sts.stanford.edu/dymaxion/map.htm has info on the
> dymaxion. now it does state in the website that the car had serious
> stability problems.....but, nobody drove the thing IMHO, from how I read
> the website anyway.
> and moving the driver to the rear of the car should make driving a rear
> steer a lot harder, due to now instinctive (since 16 yrs old) self training
> on fws cars, but tail steered airplanes learn to rear steer, albeit using
> tailfeathers too.....
>
>            John Robinson, Mechanician
>    Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
>                  1513 University Ave.
>                   Madison, Wi. 53706
>                      608-262-3606
>             Current World Land Speed Record Holder
>                   Bonneville Salt Flats
>            H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
>                   144.396 MPH set 2000
>        MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
>                      95.193 MPH set 2001
>                  Antarctic Ice Driller Oct02-Jan03

  "Sparky"
Lakester 2211