World of Speed

To: Land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: World of Speed
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:10:41 -0700
  List,

We are home again! We had a great week of fun in the sun, wind, rain,
etc. Our results were mixed...my first run was the fastest 1/4 and top
speed to date...222.022 and 247.722 MPH respectively. The next six runs
were used licensing and trying to qualify my nephew. He did a good job,
but fell short of the mark with a top last mile of 239.182 and exit of
240.822. He was having problems with getting up to speed on the first
part of the course. His best 1/4 was 215.594 which translates to roughly
six MPH short on the other end.

On our last run at Speedweek, we damaged a rear tire which put us in a
bind for competing at the 18th Annual World of Speed. Since we already
had an entry in and, as yet, we had not missed a single W.O.S. it was
doubly important that we locate some new rubber for the rear of the car.

After a couple of weeks diligently seeking tires, with the help of
several on the Land Speed Network offering suggestions and use of tires,
I had purchased a pair of new Goodyears and accepted John Beckett's
offer of a set of used Mickey Thompson like I had been running, we were
finally adequately equipped to go racing.

As usual, the World of Speed was a great experience for us. I thoroughly
enjoy these meets, their more relaxed pace and friendly volunteers. It
harkens back to the earlier days of SCTA-BNI. I don't say this to
criticize the SCTA-BNI meets, it is just that Speedweek has become so
popular that it has lost its atmosphere of old.

The weather was a bit of a problem for this meet, but we did get in
seven runs. There were a couple of accidents that did considerable
damage to two beautiful streamliners, Nish and Burkdol. So far as I know
the drivers were not seriously injured. The Herbert/Steen Streamliner
posted top time with a pass in the middle 300s. Keith & Ted made a 260
MPH pass. The Burkland Streamliner was there and lined up just behind us
on Sunday, but the wind began to get too much for Tom to feel
comfortable, so they left without making a run. I am sure they will be
back for the Finals if weather permits. George Field's Comp Coupe ran
301 MPH on four cylinders in the D blown fuel class setting a 296 MPH
record.

There were several records set...Keith Young set a 153.432 record in his
Jimmy powered '39 Chevy Coupe and Gail Watson in Doug Odom's Modified
Sports posted a 205.988 MPH record. I was too busy to zero in on others,
but everyone had a great time. Now it is on to the World Finals in October.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC