Re: JCB Streamliner

To: James Tone <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: JCB Streamliner
From: Wester Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:56:44 -0600
When the hot rodders first asked to use the salt flats for speed trials
in 1949, they were told it was very unlikely they would reach the speed
record in the displacement class for most of their engines ... it had
been set by the Germans in an all out effort.  The record was 217 mph.
That was then the target and it only took three years to pass that with
the same engine block Ford had introduced twenty years before.

I'd be surprised if the JCB crew  isn't a bit nervous already knowing
what American hot rodders have done in the past.  Lets see, Don Vesco
went 458, Tom Burkland holds the record in his class at 417 and Rick
Yacoucci bumped the record in his under two liter class to over 350
last week, Earl Wooden went over 364 on gas.  I really don't see that
anyone but the JCB crew needs to be nervous.

Carl Heap went over 272 in a BIG 1943 International diesel truck and I
don't think that was the final goal for him.  Unfortunately, cancer
stopped that team from raising that bar.  As I said yesterday, Gale
Banks now owns the Hoffman/Markley streamliner that has gone 348 on an
engine of under 3.42 liters displacement.  With that proven chassis and
Banks knowledge the A diesel record could soon be faster than the JCB
AA record.

I'm impressed by the JCB record, they did a great job.  That's an area
that hasn't been too much of a target for Bonneville racers until now.
Doug Odom was accurate when he said there were others who could beat
that speed who are friends of his.  Now the target is on the Brits.  My
bet is that someone from this side of the pond does it within three
years.  It's kind of like poking a sleeping tiger with a stick.

Wes