What's driving fast on the salt really like?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's driving fast on the salt really like?
From: "Matt Ferrari" <market@gammasports.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 08:56:54 -0400
Hello, everyone.

I recently read Wes Potter's description of Csaba Csere's Bonneville
experience, which made me smile.

I have some limited road racing experience, and have attended schools
run by Skip Barber and Jim Russell.  So the fastest I have gone is only
some 130 mph, with grippy tires, wings, and a smooth, paved surface.  I
imagine that, based on my current skills, I would do worse than Csere!

I'd really appreciate hearing from those who've experienced the salt
what the sensations of speed are, and how it differs from any other sort
of racing or driving that most folks are familiar with.  What's it
like?