World of Speed

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: World of Speed
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:24:26 -0700 (PDT)
We got home yesterday about noon. I have begun my cleanup, not too bad
this time for the rig. We drove through some rain storms on the way home,
so the undercarriage is pretty clean.

We did not get our fuel problem figured out for sure as I had hoped, but
our session with Mary West went well. She got her "A" License with a 186
1/4 mile, 193 mile and 204 middle mile. Our longest run of the meet. (All
others were shut down at the 3 to keep from melt down in case it was not
receiving enough fuel.) After She got the license, I told her to take a
hard run to the three. She turned a 204 1/4 mile and a 212 mile. I made
one run at 212 1/4 and 219 mile exiting at 228 by the computer.

We are still having trouble getting the fuel pressure we need in high
gear. We changed out the suction hose at the meet, but that did not
correct the problem. On the way home, I was thinking about the setup and
may have come up with the cause of the problem. The suction hose is laying
against one of the water hoses (braided line). I remembered that I had
made a bracket to separate them on my previous setup. When I got home, I
checked and that was the case. The suction hose is now in contact with the
water hose that goes from the pump to the block about 10 inches from the
fuel pump. The question I have is, "At what temperature does alcohol start
to vaporize?" I looked it up on the net and it says 11deg. C  (48 deg. F)
is the flash point. It boils at 67.4 deg. C ( 148 deg F). Some of you
engineers out there give me your think so on this. Unfortunately, I have
no way to check my theory until next meet.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC